1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays, airports and stuff.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 15, 2018.

1. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

The school my kids go to is still fairly lenient on term time holidays - they'll input them into the data as what they're required to and you take your own risk if the LEA decide to go on a fining spree but there's not the attendance obsessive nonsense there is in some schools (one local primary asks for a GP note for ALL absence... the GP receptionist's reply when she heard this had been told to parents is fairly unrepeatable) but I'd still be avoiding the start of the year if I were the sort to be booking a holiday in term time as I think the settling in is so important.

Having said that - the last two years my youngest has had medical appointments meaning they've been out of school at points in the first week of term both years! Bang goes those 100% attendance prizes (thankfully our school don't do 'em)!

There are loads who are out and away from May onwards though - mine don't, but we don't generally have any spare income to afford holidays and I hate airports, hate airport security (it seems mutual - I always get picked for a pat down), hate queues full of people ramming suitcases into your legs, hate planes, hate flying, hate take off and landing and a special dose of hatred reserved for Luton airport. I like gravity so much more when I'm on the winning side where it's concerned.

Last flight I did (first for years and years) was recent and was the hell of the above (including Luton) compounded by an under 11 football team full of excitement, hype and having been pumping their remaining spending money into vending machines for the duration of a lengthy flight delay so on a complete sugar high, sat all around us while the male trip leaders hyped the kids up more and more and more before the flight. Hopefully it'll be a good few more years before I have to get on a plane again.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Jaffa cake is fine I was just maintaining the fruity metaphor.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Jaffa cakes not fruity? Maybe I shouldn’t be including them in my five a day, then?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Now be honest. How many Jaffa cakes are counting towards one of your five-a-day?

5. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Maccy D's snobbery
    Bragging about horses and holidays......................... Sick of reading it.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.