1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays, airports and stuff.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 15, 2018.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Or from public schools where term has indeed started, but the parents (paying minimum £10 000 a year in school fees) wanted a cheaper holiday!

They also go skiing in the second home in France for all of December and January, etc etc.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The same would apply at home, of course. Parents glued to their phones, children feeling ignored and sad.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Good grief, I hope you realise how much of a snob you sound, Belle!

ilovesooty and InkyP like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

When I made my original comment I was imagining the kind of family where the kids are pretty much left to their own devices but that would be very difficult to use as a criteria for deciding which holidays are worthwhile and which are not.

However, having given it more thought, I think that even for those kids, getting away to the sun for a week or two can be a positive. They're more likely to be outdoors than they are at home, they might even be getting more exercise than at home but more than that, it's about fairness. Some families can afford to go away in school holidays, others can't. Even if the holiday itself has no real benefits, it avoids a child having to feel inferior because s/he is the only one in the class without a holiday.

I may be biassed - my parents could only afford to take us away every second year, in the UK, and we usually missed a week of school either in June or early July. My parents always consulted with the school beforehand and as far as I know, we never missed anything important, tests or otherwise.

5. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

You can almost hear the calls to Childline.

"Help, Esther, please! My parents don't love me enough to take me to The Ivy for lunch!"

catmother likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Who are we to judge what counts as quality time.

ilovesooty and catmother like this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

But at least they'd be in school!

8. BelleDuJour

Intelligent human beings and teachers.
    I think you are being pedantic............

9. BelleDuJour

Like I said in my OP...why not take then in July when all we are doing is babysitting as exam classes have left and kids are mostly in demob mode in-between sports day and trips out.
    Why take then in the second week of term? Beats me.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not at all. McDonald's wouldn't be my choice but if other people people like it why should anyone else sneer at it. It's obnoxious snobbery.

ilovesooty likes this.
  11. BelleDuJour

No..............realistic.
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm really thinking of younger primary age children as that is my area of experience. I did try and persuade a non-teaching friend not to take her son on holiday in September as he would miss the settling in and making friends experience although she ignored me. I agree that the end of June or July would be better but as I said before not every one can take their holidays when they choose.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I fail to see what is wrong with going to a McDonald. I've been known to go to McDonald's. So what?

14. BelleDuJour

Do you really need an answer to that?

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes.

Are you suggesting that people who frequent McDonald's, and there are many reasons one might do that, are less deserving of family time on holiday than people with more upmarket options? That is what you seem to be inferring.

catmother likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm delightfully intrigued by the thought of just how short her nightwear was.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was it a plummy, peachy bum or more of a wrinkled dessicating Jaffa bum?

coffeekid likes this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My children do that frequently.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Jaffa bum? Love it!

Orange peel cellulite.

Mine is VERY peachy. :)

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I used to take my kids to McDonald's as a treat. AND I'm a snob. From a guttersnipe background. :)

mothorchid and InkyP like this.