1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays, airports and stuff.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just flown back to day from a week in Majorca.
    Term time...................cheaper and no kids.
    I was gobsmacked at how many school age kids were at the airport flying all over the place. I mean, it's week 2 of term F F S! I have a certain sympathy for parents taking kids out of school in July, when external exams are over and we are just marking time and babysitting for the last few weeks, in between sports day and trips out, but September!!!!
    Also I believe only those under the age of 3 should travel in their PJs...not some 20 something female looking ridiculous with her bra hanging out from under her nightwear.
    Or am I just becoming grumpy?

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

No BelleDuJour you are not. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The world has changed, unfortunately, since my school days. For one thing, people didn't have the money to fly away in September on holiday and secondly, schools and education were respected and missing school was frowned on by everyone. As for the clothing, I agree. I've come back from the Canaries in February to a frosty Britain and, getting off the plane, were some stupid people who were hell-bent on exposing every bit of suntan that they could. It is to be hoped they spent the rest of the month in bed nursing a cold.

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I totally agree. Since being on supply and half-heartedly retiring I have always had term time holidays. It never fails to amaze me how many school age children there are at airports, etc and I really want to challenge the parents about why their children aren't at school! (I also want to tell them that as a teacher I couldn't pick and choose when to go away.)Especially in September, when the scene is being set for the year ahead. Evidently, the derisory 'fine' and threat of unauthorised absence is not a deterrent. It is a real bug bear of mine - us retired teachers should be able to holiday in term time without hordes of children getting in on the act. Adults only resorts solve most of the problem, but not the airport part. I suppose schools are a bit of a necessary inconvenience to these people.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We're expecting a plane-load of retirees when we board at Heathrow for Corsica tomorrow morning. I'll let you know if I'm right.

lindenlea and BelleDuJour like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I am currently in Croatia and until last night there were only a few babies and toddlers here. There are now a few Croatian and Italian families here for the weekend. I expect they will go tomorrow.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had a boy in my form who went on holiday with his parents for the first two weeks in September every year for five years. This would then be followed by about a month of whinging from him and his parents that he didn't know what was going on in class (did he make an effort to catch up? I'll leave you to guess that dear reader), no-one wanted to be his friend (i.e. they ignored the new boy when he started talking too much in class) and all and any other assorted moans that wouldn't have happened if he was there from the start.

The first two weeks are in some ways the most important of the school year, for settling-in purposes as much as anything else. Still, it's cheaper then isn't it and no-body tells them what to do.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Being in Year 6, lots of our last year's class have already visited to tell us how they're doing in Year 7. Enquiring about others I knew had gone to the same secondary school, I was horrified to hear that two kids are still away on holiday. One apparently went for the whole summer was due back last Friday; the other left for a two week holiday the day before school started!!! It's incredible … of course I understand the high cost of travel in the school holidays (I've had to pay it all my working life!) but some of these parents have zero understanding of how big a deal it is for their child to start secondary school when everyone else has formed friendship groups and started to settle in.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

In early September could it be that the holidaying children were from public schools where term hadn't yet started?

mothorchid likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I would definitely consider taking my child out of school for a trip abroad if a good reason came up. Doubt the reason would be a package holiday, but there's more to life than school and work, so...
    As for the PJs, I'm with you. YUCK.
    Not quite the same, but I saw a woman at Edinburgh airport with a dress so short I could literally see her thong-separated bum cheeks whenever she slightly leaned forward. I mean, I don't think she knew her ars.e was bared for all to see, but come ON. I nearly tapped her on the shoulder and said something, but it was so busy (being August) I was swept along in a crowd. Her bum has haunted me on and off since then.

sparkleghirl and nizebaby like this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Latitude in mid July was full of children but I presumed they were from Private schools.
    I'm with @smoothnewt It'll be the grey pound flexing it's muscles at Luton at 6.30 (6.30!) on Monday am.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Last Sunday we had our coffee in a nice coffee shop looking at a woman in her onesie! The rest of her party were dressed reasonably.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Of course,schools in Scotland are much more tolerant of pupils being taken out of school for holidays/funerals/weddings/other.

coffeekid likes this.
  13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

one of ours has gone on holiday for a week. not even a full week back.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are there still some areas in the UK that don't have the standard summer holiday?
    When I first went into teaching in the late 90s Blackburn schools in Lancashire strated the new school year in mid-August. In early September they had a 2 week break that coincided with the traditional factory closure weeks. They eventually standardised the holiday periods witht he rest of the county but I found it useful when I was supply teaching as I could pick up extra work in August. Some new recruits to the schools already had August holidays booked prior to getting the job and they brought in supply to cover them.

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Not a pretty sight. We had to educate our Polish friend about what shorts were OK in Sri Lanka. She hadn't noticed the agog looks she'd been getting!

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Agree. Travelling can be a fantastic learning experience for children but of course it depends where and what. Two weeks in a pool in an anglicised resort eating british food probably doesn't broaden your horizons that much.

Airports are a great place for people watching. The get-up some people choose for travelling defies belief.

coffeekid likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

But part of the holiday is just being with parents and relaxing together. Sometimes one parent can only get time off in term time, not everybody can get flexible holidays.

coffeekid, sparkleghirl and nizebaby like this.
  18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

True, I agree actually. Quality time with parents is worth the time off school.

colpee, coffeekid and InkyP like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was 40 before I first got in a plane and I haven't flown for the last 14 years - I hate the whole process. I'd rather spend three days driving to Italy than 3 hours flying there. I'll be quite happy if I never go in another airport again. Even picking other people up from airports irritates me.

There's a lot to be said for holidaying post-retirement in mid September if you want a break from kids. On one September trip through Spain we pitched up next to a family who'd taken their kids out of school for a year to go touring Europe in a camper van. I'm sure some of it must have been quite personally enriching for them, but most evenings they all appeared to be glued to their iPads trying to keep in touch with people back home.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I doubt the sort of parents I saw on holiday would spend any qualitytime with their offspring....unless you count a trip to Maccy D's as quality time.