1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays abroad when pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by littlebuttons, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Well after trying for a year, and booking an appointment to see the doctor about possible fertitlity issues.....this week I have found out I'm pregnant! It's very early days yet though. Because nothing seemed to be happening and my periods have been so irregular I had almost convinced myself it wasn't going to happen anytime soon, but now I have a bit of a dilemma.
    My OH and I have booked to go to Egypt in August and now, I'm not sure whether I should go. OH isn't happy about losing the money, but I am concerned about food poisoning - I am almost always ill when I go abroad and last time I went to Egypt I had a bad bout of traveller's tummy. I really don't know what to do! Any advice greatfully received!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all,

Well after trying for a year, and booking an appointment to see the doctor about possible fertitlity issues.....this week I have found out I'm pregnant! It's very early days yet though. Because nothing seemed to be happening and my periods have been so irregular I had almost convinced myself it wasn't going to happen anytime soon, but now I have a bit of a dilemma.
    My OH and I have booked to go to Egypt in August and now, I'm not sure whether I should go. OH isn't happy about losing the money, but I am concerned about food poisoning - I am almost always ill when I go abroad and last time I went to Egypt I had a bad bout of traveller's tummy. I really don't know what to do! Any advice greatfully received!
    Thanks in advance!

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Personally I would only go abroad after 12 weeks which is a bit safer. Bear in mind you will have to eat very carefully to avoid certain foods and ice in drinks etc. You can't even really touch salad because you don't know what it's been washed in. Which is all easier in some countries than others.
    Some holiday companies let you just pay a small admin fee to move your booking to another date, or if you're not sure when and where you will want to go they could move your money onto any old booking for the time being, then move it again onto something you want in say, a year and a half etc.
    In the meantime you could go on a safer option holiday not too far away?
    We had to do all this when my dad got terminally ill. I didn't want to go on the dream holiday I'd booked. We did end up going about 6 months after he'd passed away. I didn't know you could move your booking until my travel agent suggested it as an alternative to losing our deposit. You could also try claiming on travel insurance? Check your policy.
    Many congratulations xxxx

4. Congrats!
    I am in a similar situation- 6 weeks preg (unexpected) and 2 foreign holidays booked this Summer. I am going to go on both of my holidays for various reasons...
    1. If I am going to miscarry it is going to happen regardless of where I am!
    2. I will be fed up sitting here for six weeks watching the rain when I could be relaxing in the sun!
    3. We might not get another holiday together just us for the next 10 years!!

I totally understand if you think you should stay at home but as long as your travel insurance would sort you out and you don't have any complications I would go!

Only you know how you feel though xx

5. Congratulations.... Speak to your GP, or get in touch with your community midwife ASAP. The temperature in Egypt would be my main concern.... along with the risk of food poisoning.

6. I'm currently 8 weeks but will be 11 weeks when I go away. My plans is to spend time in the shade and just be careful about what I choose to eat.

7. I had my wedding booked in Jamaica and traveled when I was 10 weeks pregnant and aside from morning sickness that took place now in the evening it was fab!

8. Thanks for all the useful replies!
    OH contacted the travel agents today and they are happy for us to change the destination [​IMG] I am probably being totally paranoid, but I was concerned about the heat and the chance of food poisoning in Egypt, not to mention health care if anything did go wrong. So, the best deals seem to be either Gran Canaria, Portugal or Greece. I really like a hotel in the Algarve so think we are going to book that instead - it seems like a safer option.

My poor hubby....I think I'm driving him mad already and there's ages to go yet. I suspect he feels I am being dramatic and over careful, but hey ho!

9. I dont think its dramatic and over careful, Algarve sounds like a good compromise. In any case drama aside I doubt 50 degree heat would be particularly pleasant when preg, you get hotter easier and if you suffer from nausea too then yuck!

10. how did the foreign hols go? i am sitting by the pool in Italy x very glad i came despite the heat!