1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Danlh85, May 1, 2012.

1. I've possibly got the opportunity to go on a skiing holiday during February half term next year, however i'm not sure this would be a good idea during my GTP year, especially considering the anticipated workload. What do you think?

2. I've possibly got the opportunity to go on a skiing holiday during February half term next year, however i'm not sure this would be a good idea during my GTP year, especially considering the anticipated workload. What do you think?

3. Hi,

I advise not to go since this year my Feb half term was manic with planning, and getting evidence for my files (I am a GTP student). Having said that, you could possibly do some work on holiday if you're happy taking your laptop with you. If it's for a whole week however, you may have problems. Only really because this is likely to be during your 5 week assessed placement, and you may not have time to be on the slopes for 5-7 mornings and/or afternoons! However, Easter holiday is more of a break...

Hope this helps!

4. I'd go for it. I'm on the GTP this year and had an 80% timetable from christmas but still managed to go away in Feb half term. Obviously everyone manages the process differently, but knowing about it far in advance would allow you to prepare as best you can. The way I look at it is you'll NEVER be on top of everything on your to-do list on the GTP, and sometimes you just need to know when to give yourself a break - you will probably need it!

5. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I am in the exact same situation! Today I asked the current GTP student at my school the same question, and she said she did. She said she brought some work with her but not a lot.

If there is a GTP student at your school this year, it might be worth doing the same thing and asking them, because they might have a more realistic idea of how your workload might shape up - it seems to me that although there is a broad framework of how things work, a fair bit does depend, from school to school.

French Alps for us, near Alpe D'Huez, we think! Yay!

6. GO!
    I went away skiing during my Feb half term. You will need a break. Easter or June will be more difficult, but you will want to get away. Just make sure that you get prepared the week or so before so you don't spend your hols stressing.

Good luck