1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday whilst on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HelloThere22, Dec 10, 2019.

1. HelloThere22

HelloThere22 New commenter

Been in a school 3 days a week since beginning of November;
    Boyfriend booked the holiday for my birthday in October and the holiday is in January.
    I've overheard 2 staff saying i will be continuing after christmas;
    Of course i might have heard wrong but what do i say if they do ask me?
    I'll be missing 2 days in the school;
    Do i just tell them my boyfriend booked a holiday for my birthday so i wont be available those 2 days?

Holiday is quite expensive and cant be cancelled.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well it's all currently up in the air. If there will be a need for a teacher. If there's enough budget. If they ask you.

All you can do is explain, if they ask, that you already have a longstanding holiday booked for xxx to xxx and if they could work round that you'd be happy to continue.
    However for the future it's advisable not to let others book holidays during term-time, as you could well lose out on a long-term booking. Better to do a 24/48 hr just before going bargain, when you're sure you've not been asked to work.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I would urge you to go straight to the head and explain about the holiday. You could say your boyfriend booked it before you started at the school.
    Don't take as gospel what you overheard and maybe just ask the head if he/she expects you back in January?
    I've had many holidays whilst on Supply at all levels. It shouldn't be a problem and it seems you will only lose two days' work!

agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. venny414

venny414 New commenter

Your first step if to wait and see IF the school want you back after Christmas. This should be communicated via your agency to you, not directly from the school to you.

Then and only then would I explain to the agency that you have this holiday booked. They can then take that back to the school and they can make a decision based on that.

Frankly, I wouldn't approach anyone with the information about your holiday at this stage. At the moment, it's nobody's business but yours. When a school attempts to book you, then they should be told. One of the only perks of being a supply teacher is that you don't really owe anybody anything, so justifying holidays shouldn't be something that concerns you really.

Enjoy your holiday by the way :)

JohnJCazorla likes this.