1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday reports from our term time holiday correspondents.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by lindenlea, Jun 11, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just got back from a week in Rovinj, Croatia. We stayed at Hotel Lone which is a really beautiful hotel. The weather was fab and we sat around the pool and on the stony beach more than we usually would - lovely. Rovinj is not a nice as I expected - had to search for restaurants with menus without pictures, a useful criterion I think, but it was OK. We caught a bus to *** to see the Roman amphitheatre and other remains, did a boat trip to Porec - nicer town than Rovinj I thought, and hired a car for one day to go inland - wooded hills with some hilltop towns, great views. A week was enough and now it's lovely to be home. Croatia has lots of good things about it but I find it hard to warm to the place names - e.g. Novigrad just sounds too Russian - completely prejudiced and irrational I know.

Recommend our hotel for luxury that doesn't break the bank.

What about you?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We went to Cornwall, travelling on the Friday at the end of half term. The chock a block traffic and nose-to-tail caravans over Bodmin moor were all going the other way and we sailed through. We came back on the Thursday and sailed through again, no traffic - brilliant. The campsite and the beach cleared on the Saturday. Unfortunately the good weather held off until we got home.

That's all so far but we're going to Portugal in September and Skopje, Macedonia in October (not half term) so I'll report back then if this thread is still going. I hope it is because I always like ideas of where to go.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We had a week in Porec a few years ago. Lovely old town and we enjoyed hopping on boats to other places. We also had a day trip by catamaran to Venice. It was very hot and very crowded even in mid-September!

We also like Morro Jable in the south of Fuerteventura but, as the name suggests, it can be rather windy.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Great thread.

Im booked for Italy at the beginning of september.

Never been to Cornwall (could not face it in school holidays) Maybe October? Want to go somewhere in January /February. Any ideas? Commitments rule out anything more than a weekend until August but so many places in UK I havent visited.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dorset and the Jurassic coast is fab.

6. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

We had 4 days of lovely weather in Mont Tremblant, about 4 hours' drive from our home. It is perhaps best known as the place Natasha Richardson (Neeson) sustained a fatal head injury, but is a beautiful area with miles of railroad tracks converted to trails.

7. May2

May2 Established commenter

In April I stayed in Portmeirion, North Wales for 2 nights and then caught the Ffestiniog railway through Snowdonia then another train along the coast to Llandudno for another two nights. The whole trip was done by train seeing some lovely scenery which brought back memories of my schooldays as my school had a field centre in Snowdonia and I went as often as I could about 5 times in total and I don't think I have been to North Wales since.

I am now in the planning stages of a trip to St. Petersburg Russia, in September. So far I have the dog's boarding booked! Any advice or suggestions from anyone who has been will be gratefully received.

8. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

We went to Fiji in April for three weeks. Absolutely fabulous - warm seas, really friendly people and very low cost of living. Little in the way if luxury; we did not stay in an hotel but in a self-catering bungalow on a small complex. We had the pool to ourselves every day because thew other people were working. Bliss. Not the usual holiday but son was working in Sigatoka for 2 months so we decided to go too. We added up the cost of it all and it came to less than a two week holiday in the Med in hotels.

9. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

I can recommend the Algarve in June. Sun, sea, sand, great food, cheap drink and sooooooo relaxing.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We are going in September, it will be much cheaper than usual but we were surprised to find the cattery is fully booked.

11. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

September is a great time to go as well. Someone was telling me the coast much closer to Faro but before Albufeira is worth a few weeks so may try that later in the year.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We've been away for a few days in our folding camper - Rutland Camping and Caravaning park - very nice in beautiful countryside. All the families with children departed on Sunday morning so we had the facilities almost to ourselves for the rest of the time.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Had 4 nights camping at the Latitude Festival. Fairly uncomfortable with the crowds, the toilets and the noise but there's so much stuff to do. it's moved more to the arts side than the music I think. Met people who were camping in Southwold but it would be a faff having to walk all the way to the car park and get out then back in the next day.

We may go again next year. There must be someone else who likes a festival on here - we could have a Latitude meet [​IMG]

14. Mrs Hiughes

Mrs Hiughes New commenter

We go to a lot of festivals. This year it's Farmer Phil's near Shrewsbury in August and we have never been before but we can take our dog and will camp and bike ride before the festival starts on the Friday as can stay Monday to Monday for no extra cost and I love Shropshire. Not many music festivals for dogs, We have bought a trailer for safety on the road for him. We have been to Green Man 7 times, V and Leeds years ago and Cambridge Folk Festival when our kids were little - great for kids there. The thing I am looking fwd to most is the Greek Islands in May/June not in school hols :)

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We'd like to go to Latitude and Cambridge some time. I used to camp very frugally in a tent at folk festivals. The facilities used to be basic but the fellow campers friendly and honest, I've not camped at any of the bigger festivals. We have a folding camper now with more luxury and stuff in it, what are these festival campsites like regarding security?

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How secure can any campsite be. We never leave anything of value in the tent and carry cards / money / phones round with us at all times. There are plenty of security staff at Latitude with separate camping areas for families and for camper vans. The festival is big but not massive 30,000 I think.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know it can't ever be completely secure camping but there's a kind of code among campers who are generally honest and festival camping isn't always the same. Might give Latitude a go though.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Go for it!