1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday Pay?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by swsimp160, Nov 5, 2018.

1. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I had a job offer in Nigeria (Abuja) for August 2018 start which, for a variety of reasons, fell through. I posted a review on a well know review site about the school. My criticisms, since backed by another reviewer, were no help (or even mention/advice) with vaccines/malaria care. No contact from the school for weeks then a folder of documents (I would need for visa application) but no details of what the documents were and the only other information the type of visa I needed to apply for. No financial help with visa offered. An email a few weeks later from the new head telling me the date I had to get to the school for an unpaid induction week before the start of term. No other details from him. London flights get into Abuja just after midnight. It is unsafe to travel at night but nothing on how to get to the school or a night in a hotel etc.

The review was largely a factual listing of events (which I can prove) and the posting ultimately fell through because of personal illness. The headmaster who interviewed me had left abruptly and left me in no doubt about the new head (who had also been there before the head who interviewed me took up his post) who had 'ruled with a rod of iron'.

Anyway, got a long rambling email from the owner today who told me, amongst other things, about the advantages of a 'rod of iron' approach to management and claiming the unpaid induction week was fine as I would have been paid for the summer holidays at the end of my two year contract. I am happy with my review and will not remove it but my question: Is it the norm for international teachers at the end of a two year contract to be paid for the summer holidays (say they finish in the June) before starting at a new job in the September or does the owner have a point and this makes up for the unpaid induction week?

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It depends on the contract, but I think it's normal to be paid. My contract has always been from 1st August - 31st July, and this is usual for most international schools I think, with the total salary divided by 12 and paid monthly. Sometimes they base the salary on a daily rate using the number of days you teach in a school year (185 - 190) but that's more of a ruse allowing them to deduct 1/185 of your pay for a sick day rather than 1/365.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

My limited experience echoes amysdad - our contract stats that we will get paid for the full summer when our employment continues but should we leave then we're paid until the end of July - which means the final 2 weeks of what would usually be summer vacation aren't paid.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Probably because you were paid for those two weeks in your first year? Aug 1 to July 31 is typical, but not Aug 1 to Aug 15.
    I’ve also had contracts for July 1 to June 30 (school held induction in the last week of July), and August 15 to August 14. Always a full calendar year.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  5. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I’ve just finished 6 yrs in Lagos at a British Curriculum Primary School and all expats are paid until the end of August when their contracts end. Visas were paid for and organised by school, as were residents permits, we were met at airport initially by school reps and taken to our school-provided accommodation but vaccines and malaria care were deemed our own responsibility.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In my experience, some of the more shabby schools do try to save a few quid by not paying all of your cash for the summer hols. Sometimes yes, it is in your contract and you would have known all about it if you had read it more carefully.

It was some years ago that the overweight pachyderm was in Kenya, but the advice we were all given was two fold. Firstly, don't bother with anti-malarials because they can muck up your blood test. (A proper blood test, we were told, is the only real way of knowing whether you really have malaria or not.) Secondly, none of the anti-malarial drugs are 100% effective and some have decidedly nasty side efffects. In Kenya, avoiding malaria is not so difficult, if you are sensible. I wasn't, of course, but I was lucky because I only had falciparum malaria. This meant that I was back in the classroom after four or five days. Blackwater fever, on the other hand, is a particularly horrible form of malaria. If your pee turns black, you had better tell the nurse about the flowers and which hymns you would like at your funeral.

7. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

If it's a two year contract then you should be paid for two years. For example, if you start your employment on the 1st September 2018 then you should be paid until 31st August 2020

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

It's a long time ago but I think you're right.

9. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Thanks for replies. Yes I did read the contract it was from 1/9/18 until 31/8/20 but the owner was claiming it was ok for her to have an unpaid induction week in August 2018 before the start of my contract because the scoop year ended in July 2020 and she was paying me up to 31/8/20. So My contract seemed to be the norm and it did not give her the right to an unpaid induction week before my contract started.

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Correct. If a school wants you to work, they should put that in the contract and pay. Start and end it a week earlier. Easy peasy.