1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Holiday pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nearmiss, Feb 27, 2016.

  1. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    If you are with an agency, you need to check if you have any accrued holiday pay. If you don't claim it before the end of the financial year, you could lose it. Email your agency and ask if they have held back any holiday pay for you. Check the deductions on your pay slip. You might have a little bonus you didn't know about.
    pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Excellent advice nearmiss. Also, if people are with different agencies or a mix of agency and direct, they may need to do a self assessment tax return at the end of the financial year to get a refund of overpaid taxes.

    I work for two agencies which both pay PAYE. Two different tax codes are used, so I fill in a self assessment tax return at the end of the tax year and get all the tax I have overpaid returned to me.
  3. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

  4. emmalcm1

    emmalcm1 Established commenter

    Great idea to mention this! My main agency deducted holiday pay from my wages for a while after saying they would automatically opt everyone in (they haven't always done it). I ended up asking them to stop doing it and instead I put a little in a savings account each week...but only because their admin/ finance person is not always very efficient when you contact them for something and I was sometimes getting my holiday pay back late when I'd requested it.
  5. PizzoCalabro

    PizzoCalabro Established commenter

    I had this with one agency when I first started and then read on here (Thanks, NearMiss!) that I could have it paid upfront and so did this. I see no point in just spreading it out - surely anyone who is a professional - ie teacher - can budget themselves for the holidays and not need an agency to keep it in a 'Christmas Club' for them. (Got flamed for this on FB who said that better to have it paid in arrears)
  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    When doing a tax return at the end of the tax year (after you get P60s from each of your agencies and including any P60 information from employers you have ditched in the tax year), remember to claim tax relief on your Union subs 9ask you Union what proportion of the subs is tax deductible).

    Also claim a £60 uniform fee if you provide and launder specialist clothing and footwear for work (this applies to a PE kit if you at any time have to teach PE at schools). I claimed it for years whilst teaching PE perhaps 4 times per year. I always kept a kit in my car. The allowance saves you £12 per year in tax.

    If you haven't claimed tax relief in the past, you can go back 4 tax years, so be quick as one of your years will drop off the radar if you miss the 5th April deadline.

    You can send a letter to the Inland Revenue claiming tax relief for past years now and follow up with a claim for overpaid tax later.
    Just specify which tax years you are claiming for and list the eligible Union subs and/or Uniform allowance. Unions will give you a statement of past subs as proof.

Share This Page