1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday pay after resigning

Discussion in 'Personal' started by paulmarkj, Jan 23, 2020.

1. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

I looked up the terms for leaving a school job.

Assuming you have given the correct notice period, if you leave on the last day of term, you get paid for the holiday as well, but this means you get more if you leave in the summer term (6 weeks holiday pay) as opposed to Autumn or Summer (2 weeks pay).

This doesn't seem equitable.

Any views? Have I misunderstood?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seems fine to me. There are only three accepted leaving dates for teachers: 31 December, 30 April and 31 August.

You could equally well complain that a new teacher joining a school on 1 May gets eight weeks paid holiday in their first six months whereas one joining a school on 1 September might only get four (half term breaks included).

Look in any direction and the grass will appear to be greener elsewhere.

It rarely is.

WB, mothorchid, colpee and 2 others like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It’s why many teachers choose to retire or change jobs and roles in the summer. Let alone those returning from maternity leave on the first day of the summer holidays. Perfectly legal.

border_walker likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The imbalance is remarkable, isn't it?I left a job at Easter and spent May, June and July down the allotment getting quietly drunk,talking about beans and making new friends, and I developed a spring in my step and the eyes of a twenty year old, but my friend who left her job at the end of July spent May, June and July a quivering micro-managed wreck, in an overheated chamber of misbehaving reprobates, and developed the hue of a seventy eight year old Siberian convict.
    So unfair.
    (O- and I did take her some fresh tasty beans to cheer her up,but she didn't have time to cook them.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

Nomad,

I am not complaining, I am just looking at what is right and wrong.It is also not about 'grass being greener', I have choices to make and need information. In fact, my likely retirement is summer.

In any other business, holiday pay is pro rata, which is reasonable, fair and equitable.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I had not suggested you were.

I am afraid that you then followed this with a situation in which you (perhaps unconsciously) consider to be greener grass elsewhere! "In any other business, holiday pay is pro rata, which is reasonable, fair and equitable."

All I can suggest is that you weigh up all three retirement option dates and make the choice which is best for you.

border_walker likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't forget that you are not actually paid for those weeks of 'holiday'. Pay is held back from the 9 months you do work and given back to you.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The important thing is to specify the official end of term date in your letter, not the last pupil day of the term. Those who do the latter risk not getting any of the holiday pay.

strawbs, border_walker and nomad like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Not true. Teachers are paid on an annual contract and pay accrues at 1/365th of annual salary for every day of the year. Term dates or directed time days have nothing to do with it and pay isn't 'held back'. This was confirmed by the Supreme Court as recently as 2017 in Hartley -v- King Edward VI College [2017] UKSC 39.

Maybe there is a confusion with support staff on Term Time Only contracts? Their pay works on those lines. Teachers' pay (in state schools anyway) doesn't.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Correct.
    For supply teachers paid on the official pay scale the daily rate is their annual salary pay point divided by 195 (number of pupil says +5 INSET). Work every possible day and they earn the same as a contracted teacher.
    The formula allows for getting the holiday pay up front and is in the ratio of 3:1 just as a contracted teacher works 39:13 school weeks:holiday weeks but has pay divided over equal monthly amounts.

emerald52, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  11. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

On a leap year does our pay/pension accrue at 1/366th per day?

12. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Or do you work for nothing on the extra day?

13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

As we still work 195 days then it’s an extra holiday day. But for the same annual pay.

nomad and emerald52 like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes. Same as in all annual salaries in other professions, you don't get extra pay just because it's a leap year. But as Sundaytrekker says at least in teaching there's an extra day's holiday, whereas in other professions you just get an extra day's work!

Different for people in other jobs working on an hourly/daily rate though. They will get an extra day's pay if the work an extra day.