1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday/leave

Discussion in 'Independent' started by trinity0097, Apr 30, 2012.

1. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Our terms (prep school) are generally 10 weeks long, up to 12 weeks. We work every other Sat morning but it's activities we have to do not lessons.
    We have to cover in free periods if necessary. Our days are longer though, have to be in classrooms at 8.15am for registration to start at 8.30am, children leave at 5.30pm after compulsory prep at school.
    18months ago I worked in a state school, I can honestly say that I am more tired during term time now as we squeeze so much in, but that the stress/pressure is far less. But longer holidays make up for that, we just had 3.5weeks for Easter, the children had 4 weeks, but we have 3 INSET days before the start of each term. No meetings during term time though, they are all done on the INSET days.

2. can I ask what sort of summer break you get?

I have a real passion for travelling and am keen to get an idea of the amount of time I will get to do this. :)

Cheers again! :)

3. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Look at independent schools websites. They usually show the term dates.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3 small pieces of advice here.

It's good to look ahead, bit it's also good to use some initiative and research for yourself

Do read all the information in the Welcome thread. It may answer some other questions for you.

Don't go into teaching or independent schools just for the holidays.

Good luck with your course and then with your job hunting.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Look beyond the headlines too. For instance, whilst I have 8 weeks off in the summer instead of the 6 I had in the state sector, I am expected to come in on GCSE and A-level results days. So the last two weeks of August are a no-no for holidays. Similarly, our school trips go on during our holidays - this summer for instance, my colleague is going to Kenya for four weeks with a few students. Exciting, but not exactly your normal holidays. So it takes dedication, not just a calendar!