1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday 'intervention sessions'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My son's school have tried to rush them through an extra (and to my mind pointless) vocational GCSE this year, in year 11. Needless to say there hasn't really been enough time to do it properly, so now they're offering one day in the Easter holidays as an intervention session. I really don't think teachers should be asked to do this and I really want my son to focus on his other far more important subjects, and also have a proper break from school. But the poor old teacher is going to have to be in school anyway, unless no one takes up the offer, I suppose!

It feels unsupportive to say no thanks, but I strongly disagree with the endless panicking because there hasn't been time to do the GCSE that the school and the school alone thought would be a good thing. Would it be really irresponsible not to send him? The teacher has been great so I want to do what's best for her really. And I'm pretty sure that isn't coming into school for a day!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Course it's not irresponsible to do what's right by your son.

What's this GCSE about? Is it for him? No. It's for the school's league tables and stats.

Do not be complicit in this nonsense. It's not educational. You are right. The school is most emphatically in the wrong.

3. Doitforfree

Thank you. That was my initial feeling, but the whole thing's been such a mess that I feel my judegment is clouded. I note that the intervention sessions aren't billed as being something that will enhance my son's learning and understanding, only that it might get him (or, as you say, the school) his target grade.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Such qualifications exemplify what is wrong with education at the moment. My school did such things, "short courses" and add-ons so that if a pupil was doing one exam, they could do about half another and the school could get extra credit. Two classes were put through GCSE French at the end of yr.9 one year to fit extra stuff in later on, that had all sorts of knock-on effects.

They are invariably useless box ticking and Ofsted pleasing exercises that have little or nothing to do with education and everything to do with game playing by the school.

5. Doitforfree

It's so depressing that they felt the need to do another GCSE rather than just do something interesting for the sake of it. Silly me. There's no point in learning something that isn't measured. How did we get into this mess? A first year undergraduate wrote to the paper bemoaning the fact that the first year of her degree was pointless as it didn't count towards her final classification. There was no concept that you go to university to learn things and increase your knowledge and understanding.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ring the school, speak to the HT and let them know your opinion.

Let your son have his holiday instead

And talk to other parents

7. Doitforfree

If it were possible to speak to her I might. You always get the promise of a call back (she's never in) but mysteriously she is never available, for anyone. Sometimes that's the last you hear and sometimes another teacher will phone in her place. In desperation a friend went up to the school and refused to leave until she saw the head, who turned out to be there after all. I did once get a reply to an actual paper letter, as email illicits no response, but the reply was so awful I wished I'd not bothered.