1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday homework? advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by overtherainbow, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Do people give this over the 6 weeks. I wasn't planning on doing so but I have had a few parents ask me for some now. I am leaving the school too so won't be there to take any of it in come September.
    I am in Reception/Year 1 and if you do give homework what do you give?

2. Do people give this over the 6 weeks. I wasn't planning on doing so but I have had a few parents ask me for some now. I am leaving the school too so won't be there to take any of it in come September.
    I am in Reception/Year 1 and if you do give homework what do you give?

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

none ever, over the holidays. maybe send a new reading book at half term, but it never gets read.

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Suggest to these parents that maybe they'd like to take their children to the library once a week, go on a nature trail, maybe make a visual diary of their holiday, paint a picture, try writing a short poem together about the weather.... Why on earth do they want homework? - to keep them occupied?!
    They'll be the parents that when at Secondary school they are complaining that their child is given too much homework!!!

5. That is how I felt, half of them have no communication skills with their children, maybe that should be the homework talk to your child for once

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I once made a pack of holiday work.....but never got one back. after that never did any....so my answer is s dont biother...and if your leaving why stress yourself.........besides the new teacher isnt going to mark it!

7. I do encourage continuing to read something they enjoy over the holidays (Y2) as if they don't the early readers really slide back (they often ignore this). I encourage joining the library reading scheme, but beyond that don't do anything as I think a holiday should be a holiday. As a parent I find summer holiday work really annoying. It should be a complete break from school for them and regardless of the amount of time you have to do it, my children still end up trying to do all the work in the last couple of days. Now I just leave it if they get it.

8. One of the children in my class kept a holiday scrapbook and then brought it in to show her 1-2-1 LSA. It was lovely because it showed all the places she had been (leaflets, brochures, train timetables) and there were sketches of flowers, animals etc and photos.
    Perhaps, if parents are desperate for homework, you could suggest that they work with their child to complete a scrapbook and the parent could also jot down a short diary entry of any books they have read with/to their son/daughter and their son/daughter could draw one of the book characters to go alongside it. This might also encourage the parents to read with their child.
    There is no marking involved and it could be shown on the first day back when children talk about their holidays or perhaps shared with their talk partner.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Send home a list of things to do: play a board game, read to your child, listen to them read, go to the park, bake a cake, climb trees, make sandcastles on a beach, etc, etc.

10. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

We always set a creative task that children can spend as much or as little time as they want on. For instance when I had Y4 we had a Harry Potter topic, children were asked to make something magical with their family. Some spend ages making paper mache animals, others made a wand, others didn't do anything. We make it non-compulsory but I often attach some sort of prize for the best or the one with the most effort.

This last year I had Y6 and our first topic was Britain's Got Talent, so the kids were asked to do a fact file on a talented British person - some great ideas came in in September and I will be doing this for my next class also. I'll set it on transition day.

11. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Well said - that's both productive and might make said parents realise that parenting is their job too!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I suppose for some of the activities, you could write a line about what children will learn and how they will benefit, so parents d see it as homework, if they are that fussy.

I wouldn't bother though!

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm sending this link home:
    https://www.50things.org.uk/
    National Trust - 50 things to do before you're 11 3/4

• Climb a tree

• Roll down a really big hill

• Camp out in the wild

• Build a den

• Skim a stone

• Run around in the rain

• Fly a kite

• Catch a fish with a net

• Eat an apple straight from a tree

• Play conkers

• Throw some snow

• Hunt for treasure on the beach

• Make a mud pie

• Dam a stream

• Go sledging

• Bury someone in the sand

• Set up a snail race

• Balance on a fallen tree

• Swing on a rope swing

• Make a mud slide

• Eat blackberries growing in the wild

• Take a look inside a tree

• Visit an island

• Feel like you're flying in the wind

• Make a grass trumpet

• Hunt for fossils and bones

• Watch the sun wake up

• Climb a huge hill

• Get behind a waterfall

• Feed a bird from your hand

• Hunt for bugs

• Find some frogspawn

• Catch a butterfly in a net

• Track wild animals

• Discover what's in a pond

• Call an owl

• Check out the crazy creatures in a rock pool

• Bring up a butterfly

• Catch a crab

• Go on a nature walk at night

• Plant it, grow it, eat it

• Go wild swimming

• Go rafting

• Light a fire without matches

• Find your way with a map and compass

• Try bouldering

• Cook on a campfire

• Try abseiling

• Find a geocache

• Canoe down a river
    If some of the kids do even 5 of those things over the 6 weeks, it would be brilliant.