1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

holiday cuts?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by categed, Feb 9, 2011.

1. categed

categed New commenter

Caught the end of a news piece on this where a man was saying that education is sorted to favour teachers not pupils... but can't find anymore information online. What have I missed?

2. The Centre for Scottish Public Policy is suggesting that teachers should give up one of their thirteen weeks holiday and that all 5 in-service days are held during that week. It will, according to them, save parents from making childcare arrangements at five different points in the year.
    Why they can't suggest having the 5 in-service days during the first week of term makes me wonder if this is the smoke and mirrors trick that gets everyone heated up so as to push through other reforms relatively unchallenged. Or is that me being cynical?[​IMG]

3. Having the in-service days in a one week block would perhaps suit the parents better but I thought that the in-service days are supposed to be to allow us to develop our practise to improve learning and teaching. Having input, then a chance to try out techniques and then further training or evaluation to help hone those skills should result in a greater improvement in learning and teaching and so benefit the pupils.
    Once again the childcare aspect of schools is more important to some than what happens when the children are there.

4. You're not being cynical just correct. Ring fencing the holidays will be the compromise to the TP21 agreement.

5. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

As a colleague of mine put it bluntly today...

WE ARE NOT BABYSITTERS!

6. Exactly so - showing that the numpty speaking on behalf of the Think Tank didn't know what he was talking about when pointing out that "teachers will benefit more from a week's concentrated CPD".

7. If I could have reached through the telly and landed a punch on Ross Martin's (representing the 'think tank') smug nose I would have! According to some info I read online he is a teacher as well as political advisor and other things - BUT A TEACHER?????????????? How can that be? [​IMG]

8. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Once again I am reading yet another ridiculous idea from people who have no idea. Surely it would be in the public interest to cut all the think tanks??
    *Dumbfounded*

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

No. Not a teacher. Just another politician with an axe to grind and a sinecure to keep him busy.

None of this is on the table for negotiation. Just kite flying. Move along now. Plenty of other things to worry about.

10. The school holidays have been the same since my father went to school in the 1920's so I doubt they'll change.

I'm of on all days with a 'y' in them next week right enough.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm off on all days with a 'why' in them. [​IMG]