1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday boo boo

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GirlGremlin, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I've made a bit of an error at the airport. I saw a former pupil, who unexpectedly bounded up to me for a chat. As he walked away my partner asked who he was, I said it was a pupil from my old school and I was surprised he wanted to speak to me as he was a bit of a sh**.

This comment was overheard by his parents.

I feel awful, it was not meant for his ears and was said in a way that should have been reserved for the staffroom, and I feel immediate regret in case he heard too.

I have since changed school, as has he. I am now wondering, in terms of repercussions, if this finds it way to my current head, how much trouble am I in? I understand I am in the wrong and this was horrifically unprofessional, and also feel terrible, I didn't mean it in the way it would have come across at all :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The parents probably know he is a bit of a sh1t and laughed about it...worry not.
    Enjoy your holiday.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

How is it going to go to your new HT?

They're probably on holiday themselves. Or in the garden.

I suspect the last thing they're going to care about is an off the cuff remark made by a staff member to a pupil from another school who they don't even know.

4. GirlGremlin

Thanks for your reassurances. They do know the school I am at and are very over protective, which is why I am a little worried!

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Think of 20 words that sound a bit like sh**... e.g 'wit', 'twit'... And if anyone asks at school (they won't!) that's what you said...but the airport was very noisy! ;)

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Oh dear.

They might complain. They might not. But what, exactly, can your HT do? The pupil isn't theirs.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that what you said to your husband was that you were surprised the pupil spoke to you because he was a bit shy. Those were your exact words.

rolysol, JodiP, jlishman2158 and 13 others like this.
  8. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Fingers crossed they're not going to the same resort/hotel as you.

9. GirlGremlin

My partner has just told me off for worrying and being ridiculous.... Here's hoping! Thank you all :)

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What a sensible partner you have!

If the parents heard and wanted to object, they would have turned round and slapped you at the time.

Now, get off TES and enjoy your holiday!

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

In 3 months time you will laugh about this!

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Neither the airport not the staffroom.

That said, I doubt you will hear any more of it.

mothorchid likes this.
  13. GirlGremlin

I agree, it was a stupid comment and I should have been more professional. I moan about teaching at times, but I love my career and I would be devastated to lose my career. Wake up call to quit the moaning and be more thankful.
    Thanks for the reassurance, although I know my karma from this will be worrying all summer about the come back! Which serves me right :(

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually, as the family walked away from you the parents said to their kid "We're surprised you wanted to talk to her as she was a bit of a sh**", but he was too busy looking in the airport shops to bother responding. Then they all shrugged and went to check in their bags,and the world turned and there was no disaster.

15. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I can understand feeling a little paranoid - but this is the sort of thing Mr Trump does everyday, Maybe he is Teflon coated or genetics have given him the skin of a rhino ? If it surfaces you could always claim it was 'fake news' or brazen it out.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Anyone who can remember the incident after six weeks has not had a good enough summer holiday.

That goes for the family as well as you.

Forget it!

jlishman2158, CWadd, Marshall and 5 others like this.
  17. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Sometimes it does parents good to hear a few home truths. They are the type to complain you say? Welcome to the real world snowflakes!

jlishman2158 and GirlGremlin like this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Really, don't-and being serious, don't let yourself/your loved ones suffer about something like this. IF they complained, they have no proof-what can they do about it? Ok, some would say that too many people use bad language/say in appropriate things in public these days, but go with the wisdom of these oldies by not stressing the small stuff. I won't say sweating, as it was probably hot in the airport...

annascience2012 and jlishman2158 like this.
  19. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Parents will probably agree with you anyway and indirectly be grateful . And yes you did not say anything as @FrankWolley states clearly it must have been misunderstood.

Think no more and enjoy every single min of your hols.

((((())))))
    Curae

jlishman2158 likes this.
  20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This is not going to come back to bite you! The family probably had a bit of a laugh about it - those parents know what he's like.

Forget it.

jlishman2158 and Curae like this.