1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday advice needed!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by saz0908, Jan 4, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you can get a flight to Nice then the rest of the Cote 'azur is relativly easy to reach by train. You can do Monte Carlo, Menton and even nip over into Italy.

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Flights to Nice can be quite expensive, but once you're there you can walk everywhere, or get the train to visit lots of different places. My husband and I rented a studio apartment on the Promenade des Anglais a few years ago, and we didn't hire a car. The station is walking distance (it was a couple of miles I think), and you can get a bus from the airport. Look in the Chez Nous brochure.
    When I was a kid, we went to the South of France every year, and didn't always hire a car. We always had lovely holidays.
    Someone mentioned Sorrento...we went there one year (when I was 11) and again we didn't need a car. You can go to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Capri etc.
    Also Corsica...very beautiful. Again, flights are expensive, but you can get the fast boat from Nice. I worked there as an au pair when I was 18.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

We stayed there, was lovely x

4. Thank you all. You've narrowed down the list....... a bit!!

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

let me widen it slightly
    the Atlantic coast of Portugal. cheap flight to Porto, tram north to the coast, walk along the beach for a few days dropping into hostels etc overnight. The locals are surprisingly child centred, if you don't end up being forced to eat wih and stay with a local family 40 Euros will cover a room easily. I think you should be able to halve your budget.

this links to a list of hostels that cost 6 euros a night each if you are feeling a bit tight.
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-portugues/topic9459.html

6. I agree with Lurk Much - North of Portugal is a great idea. Fly to Porto (Ryanair) and then use public transport. Long golden beaches, sea a bit cold though, some interesting places to visit - Braga, Guimaraes, Coimbra to the south. Trip up the Douro by boat and back by ancient train.
    N Portugal is still relatively cheap to eat out and can get hotels reasonably too.

7. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

South of France is great particularly Nice. Lots to do in the city itself and plenty of places to visit on the train, lovely scenery on the journeys too. I think some of the budget airlines like Easyjet and Jet2 go there. Weather's generally great too!
    Someone mentioned Greek islands. Have only been to Crete and that was a great island with plenty to see.