1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday advice needed!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by saz0908, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I am hoping some of you lovely posters on here can give me some advice about where to go on holiday.
    We have only ever been abroad once (spain) and we are looking to go abroad this year with our son (9).
    Looking at all the different destinations has left me and my hubby very confused.
    Where have other posters been/go to that they love. Would prefer a recommendation then just blind choice.
    So can anyone recommend a country to visit suitable for a family holiday, away from clubbers etc but with interesting places to visit. Price under £1,500 please.
    [​IMG]

2. I am hoping some of you lovely posters on here can give me some advice about where to go on holiday.
    We have only ever been abroad once (spain) and we are looking to go abroad this year with our son (9).
    Looking at all the different destinations has left me and my hubby very confused.
    Where have other posters been/go to that they love. Would prefer a recommendation then just blind choice.
    So can anyone recommend a country to visit suitable for a family holiday, away from clubbers etc but with interesting places to visit. Price under £1,500 please.
    [​IMG]

3. I love Turkey and went to Dalyan last year which was especially lovely, has a famous Turtle beach which your 9 year old might enjoy.
    Just a very "authentic" holiday and the Turkish people are very welcoming of tourists.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Andalucia, fly into Malaga or Seville, rent an apartment and a car, you can see some fabulous places and visit Gibraltar.

5. Should have mentioned none of us drive!

6. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

You will never beat the USA for both great holiday destinations and choice. It's a conservative place, so even in Calfornia the clubs and more dubious scenes have their clearly marked boundaries.
    You can go anywhere there with a young family. [​IMG]

7. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Oh.....that crossed with my post.
    In that case, you can forget the US!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you don't drive are you happy with cycling? Happy to use public transport? Do you normally like to spend a lot of time at the beach in the sun? Are you OK with camping or do you prefer brick walls? Too many unknowns to offer specific suggestions at this stage.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The Canary Islands. We went on holiday (not a package deal) to a very unspoilt, un-touristy part of Fuerteventura. Bus routes and frequency were excellent. Loads of bike hire. Snorkelling and swimming a plenty in quiet lagoons. Beautiful seafood restaurants for all budgets. Apartment that slept 4, was £280 a week. We also had a private roof top terrace, furnished with loungers, tables, seating, bbq.
    Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who prefers the quiet life. All within 5 minutes walking: internet cafe, beaches galore, restaurants, supermarkets, french patisserie, lots of wee shops. No Brit bars, no bacon and egg breakfasts, no karaoke, no loud parties, no drunks (apart from me of course). Each day we were regaled by the sounds of a local's song birds. They must have been kept in an aviary on a rooftop close by. Enchanting.
    All do-able from the UK for under £1500.
    Private message me if you would like to know more.

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've no experience with children but a few places I've loved and at what age:
    Switzerland (11) - Loved the trip in the snow and the husky ride
    Mexico (15/19) - Some cultural sights as well as eco waterparks and watersports etc so good for a range of ages.
    Sicily (24) - Fabulous place and met family with children. Can go around etna on horse/quad bike etc and also has other things to do.
    When I worked in travel alot of families used to go to Menorca/Majorca or one of the Canary Islands.

11. Should have added more detail. Sorry.
    We are happy to walk, cycle, bus it etc.
    Want to spend time doing lots of different activities and sightseeing with some time at the beach.
    No camping please.

12. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Apart from the beach element (would a lake suffice maybe?) I would recommend anywhere in the Alps - eg Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Switzerland, France if you like being active in the outdoors. Great variety of things to do in fantastic scenery. Lots of walking, but also plenty of sightseeing, plus activities such as cable cars chair lifts, rafting, summer tobogganing etc. Very friendly folk esp towards kids.
    Good companies are www.inghams.co.uk, http://www.crystalsummer.co.uk/index.shtml and www.thomsonlakes.co.uk

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A few suggestions I can offer are:

Biarritz-Anglet-Bayonne (SW France) - direct flights available

Interlaken (Switzerland) - by train?

Lake Garda (Italy) - nearest airport is Verona. Theme parks available at the SE end of the lake if you like that sort of thing.

I'd also suggest La Palmyre in the Vendee (France) but I'm not sure how easy it is to get there if you don't drive.

14. I would recommend any of the Greek islands. The Greeks love children and treat them brilliantly. There's plenty of history/culture to be had, the beaches and weather are fantastic, food is good and reasonably priced.

15. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Morocco - we were in Marrakech in October, what a fantastic place! No beaches though, you may want to think about somewhere coastal like Essaouira or Agadir.....

16. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Corsica is wild and rugged, has stunning scenery, wonderful beaches and lots to do and see.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Malta, buses everywhere and lots of places to visit. I had written loads but Tes ate my post.

18. impis

impis New commenter

I agree with the poster who suggested Turkey. FAB place!!
    I also like Majorca. I know its very much set up for tourists, but the northern part of the island is so pretty, and there are a great many places to visit and things to do, all within easy reach via public transport. The caves of Drac are a firm favourite of most kids, for example - as well as the multiple water and theme parks.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I disagree where US cities are concerned. Their public transport is a lot better, cheaper and simpler to use than ours!

20. I was going to suggest Sorrento, although cost might be a factor as can be more pricey than say Spain but you should be able to get a decent hotel for your budget during the summer months. The Italian lakes seem to offer good value in the summer months especially if you fancy something more active. Never been but I do fancy it one day.