1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Holding people to account'

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by saynotoboxticking, Feb 8, 2016.

1. saynotoboxticking

saynotoboxticking New commenter

Holding people to account... Is this just management speak for blaming the workers at the bottom?

Seems to be a phrase brandished around the work place a fair bit at moment... Shame it's not ever the students that are 'held to account'

Thoughts?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Essentially holding people to account seems to be a downward rather than upward accountability.
    The poor students probably didn't have interesting enough lessons.

3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Roughly translated - senior leaders good, and above reproach, the rest of us rubbish.

Rajindamum likes this.
  4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

'Holding people to account'

This is one of those statements SLT will say to almost justify anything. The Pupils come first is another. Throw them into almost any argument, people find will then hard to argue against, even if the issue under discussion is not relevant to them.

images-12.jpg

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Last year when I complained about the increase in workload I was told 'the accountability won't go away' which was basically telling me to put up and shut up.

Nyssa_Nyssa and Yoda- like this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"The pupils come first" could have been used instead of "the accountability won't go away". These phrases can indeed be used as put downs.

Nyssa_Nyssa likes this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The pupils comes first and you don't matter is basically what they are saying. Emotional Blackmail is something all schools are very good at.

If you refuse to do something then you don't care then do you? Never mind that you can't function properly due to workload.

Nyssa_Nyssa likes this.
  8. Nyssa_Nyssa

Nyssa_Nyssa New commenter

As an NQT, I was asked by my mentor to remember who mattered the most. I replied 'I do.' She was horrified and said 'No, the children.' I didn't last much longer there and I see that as a blessing!

DesertRach and Compassman like this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I would like to see Ofsted held to account for misusing data for years

I would like to see Ofsted, SLTs and Heads held to account for using invalid observation protocols to ruin people's health and careers

10. poltergeist

poltergeist New commenter

I would like to see Ofqual held to account for their failure to publish new qualifications and criteria in time for schools to plan for them and embed them properly. I would like to see the government held to account for the impact of austerity measures on the family stability and academic outcomes for our most vulnerable children. I would like to see everyone involved in the management of exam data as a means of measuring schools and teachers held to account, for the crippling pressure that is leading to a huge increase in mental health issues in our children.

11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I would like to see parents held to account for being parents; those who never read with their children, don't teach them manners or how to tie their shoelaces, those who don't tell their children that they need to work hard and do what they're told by their teachers.

12. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

To be fair, my last Head used to tell us that we needed to hold children to account if they didn't take on board our marking and feedback in their next piece of work.

I could've seen his point of view had it not been for the fact that they were 5 years old.

13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The issue here is often about 'how' one is held to account.

A 'constructive discussion' about why 11W were -0.4 below FFT (or whatever the hell is used these days) is one thing, threatening capability over a group not all making 4 levels of progress is another.

I agree much with Poltergeist, kids are not allowed to be kids any more and are as I would put it 'rushed and hushed' through activities. And only given 30 minutes lunch.

14. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

This. Absolutely spot on!