1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hold your nerve on IFL fees

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cardoon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I'm with you there, robbieg.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

Hold your qualifications and experience dear and don't let this spent force, empty vessel IfL pressure you.
    Their standards re what constitutes professionalism are NVQ level and are laughable to professional lecturers who regard their daily interest, research and activities in all matters FE to far outstrip anything those people with their CPD and Reflect nonsense can suggest.
    Don't send them money to bolster their wasteful salaries and corporate machinations.
    When they go and are gone there will be many people who will look back with shame on a period in the history of FE when lecturers devalued themself, their sector and the profession by having anything to do with the IfL.
    They offer nothing.
    There is nothing they suggest or outline that isn't anywhere near the standard most of us maintain.
    They're like a beta version of F E practice.
    They are a cancer to the sector.

3. There is NO red font warning - not on mine and I am no-one special!!
    There are links on almost every page to the renewal page though!

4. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Not on mine either - maybe robbie never renewed in 2010!

5. No red font on mine either.
    They have extended the deadline until the end of May, I think, in any case.

6. From the IfL website:
    "Members who have not renewed their membership by 1 April 2011 will be sent at least one electronic and one postal reminder. If a member has not renewed their membership by the 30 May 2011 their membership status will automatically change to ‘lapsed’."

7. That's not extending a deadline. That's a fairly normal debt policy.

Due on 1 April, not paid by end of May *** off - seems fair to me and I'll be glad when you non-professionals are all gone.

8. Your professionalism has been a model exemplar to us at all times, cheflecturer.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

The Phantom Flan Flinger.

10. cariadwch

Interesting that 18% of IfL members never submitted their CPD last year. The IfL doesn't seem to have taken any action against those people who are in breach of the Ifl code. So why bother.

11. Where (sic) you taking a dump during English lessons?

12. You want them sacked then?

I do. I agree with you.

13. cariadwch

I want the IfL sacked.
    You must be disappointed that not a single professional has been sacked as a result of not filing their CPD. presumably none have been sacked as a result of not paying their fees last year either.

14. cariadwch

Many lecturers are ignoring UCU, ATL and UNISON advice and thinking 'bring it on IfL'
    One wonders how anyone is going be sacked if tens of thousands refuse to pay on top of the thousands who never paid last year and the fifth of members who couldn't be bothered or refused to file their CPD last year - with no consequence at all.
    Legally, all of them are entitled to 'a fair and public hearing and no-one may have their livelihood taken away from them without observing due process'
    I think about 8 lecturers have been through IfL disciplinary hearings since 2009 resulting in their IfL membership being suspended or removed, nearly all of them would also have been disciplined by their employer and some through the courts. (If an employer or the courts passed a judgement on the employee, then what is the point of an IfL disciplinary in any case).
    Presuambly chuffie, you have paid your fees, I hope you feel the cost of the 'due
    process' of tens of thousands of lapsed IfL members is worth your £68.

15. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

What on Earth do you mean by such an inflammatory generalisation as this? Do you truly believe that your IFL membership makes you professional! Why am I and many others like me unprofessional because we have have made a different choice to you?

16. cariadwch

If you pay your £68 you are a professional - if you don't you are not. Its NO choice. The IFL is a joke.

17. what sort of idiot would hand over £68 just to be allowed to go to work. A job is a right not a privilege.

18. Taxi Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Doctors, Dentists, Engineers, Construction Workers, Teachers ......
    Yeah brother you tell 'em!
    And bring back TOTP too!
    Just where have I put my old Donkey Jacket?
    On a more serious note the management at my college has been stony quiet on this issue. Which is unusual for them, as they are normally sticklers for ensuring us worker bees cross our tees etc.

19. Mine is also eerily quiet on the issue. I'm just not sure if it policy or complete ignorance! Neither would surprise me!

20. Ours has been VERY vocal on the issue - with VERY strict instructions, including consequences of not following them.