1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hold on to your seats

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Happy flinching.

oldsomeman and Scintillant like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Strange how I could imagine walking along there no problem... but riding a bike, motorbike or driving... yeah makes me a bit more flinchy.

3. Vince_Ulam

I feel the same. Reminds me of the earthmover scene in The Italian Job.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Great video!

I've had the pleasure of a couple of these in South America.

Genuinely frightening

[​IMG]

5. Vince_Ulam

Whoever cuts paths like these are more worthy of my respect than any number of middle class yachted & sleighed sponsor-monkey 'explorers' of whose rescues we read about on an almost monthly basis.

aspensquiver likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Although the cover photo for the vid looks silly.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Heeeeeeave!

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Very true.
    I once travelled on a public bus down one of those. It was terrifying. There were only about 20 vehicles per day, but eight people had already died that year (it was only July). The bus was heaving with locals and there was no way out. The wheelbase was very narrow (obviously!) and as a result when you looked out of the window at times, you couldn't even see the road below - just the drop - as the bus itself was over the edge of the road surface. I realised that they did this regularly and the drivers did it almost daily and thanked my lucky stars again for the easy life I have.

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Being on the bus from Ravello down to Amalfi was bad enough.

aspensquiver likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i would love t be o my motorbike riding such roads....what fun yet what fear lol
    You make sure you dont make mistakes lol

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You are all talk, olds!

aspensquiver likes this.
  12. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

This was my most tense 30 minutes of driving, about 25 years ago, in the Kicking Horse Pass, near Golden, British Columbia. This video (not mine) is from 2012, when many improvements had already been made, e.g. the elimination of 'runaway lanes' into the side of the mountain for truck drivers who had lost control of their speed. The section from 13 to 14 minutes gives you an idea of the curves and the 1000 foot drop to your left as you drive.

lanokia likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Those videos are terrifying (I could only watch a snippet of each). My only proper phobia is edges of roads and pathways like those shown here. It came about after a trip around the Tarn when I was pregnant. The fear made me go into premature labour.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The A149 from Kings Lynn to Sheringham is much, much worse than any of these roads.

Don't get me started on the A14 in Canbridgeshire.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I would try it, easy said sitting in my armchair. Brown trousers, definitely.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is a nice road for biking but some of the speed restrictions creep up on you. There is a good stretch a few miles before Fakenham.

17. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I had to go and inspect the plumbing after just 40 seconds of the first video - the second motorcyclist was so close to the edge!