1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HODs - what do you look for in an interview lesson? Panicking!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by rainbowsandrain, May 26, 2012.

1. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I feel a bit less stressed about it all now!

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Over the past few weeks, I've had roughly 12-13 interviews for two new roles one of being a teach of English and another being Assistant Head of Media and Film/Teach of English and the two are very differently. Anyway, what I look for in a teacher of English, is how well they communicate with their students and how well they perform their subject. For me it's okay if teachers get a few things wrong, we all do at the best of times, but the key to to regain our composure. Well that's what I look for. But onto the point, what you have to remember is it doesn't matter if it's bland, exciting or boring. As long as you have made your aims and objectives to your students and they have learned those aims and objectives at the end of the lesson than you should be fine. And also, yes class and behavioural management are essential, so ergo, if you have those down, you shouldn't go wrong!

Good luck! :)

3. Thank you so much for your reassurance! I'm a bit concerned that one of my lessons may be a bit too 'teacher-led' - there is a lot of question and answer/discussion, but the students will only be independently working on a worksheet for about 15 mins of a 45 min lesson. That shouldn't matter too much if the observers are looking to see how I interact with the students, should it?

4. bonjovifan35

bonjovifan35 New commenter

having interviewed recently and thereforeobserved a number of lessons, I would say that we would looking for a "good" lesson. This meant as much student centred / independent learning as possible; clear objectives that were differentiated and levelled and referred to throughout the lesson; progress of students; butmost imporantly a "buzz" and enthusiasm from the teacher. Not easy to define or describe I approciate, but....

Most importantly be yourself! Ask not only does thsi school want me, but do I want to work at this school?

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It very much depends upon the nature of what you wish to do. Does the topic naturally lend itself to 30 minutes of question and answer? It seems rather long to me. Can you not break it down better? 5 minutes of teacher led discussion with some group work for about 10 or 15 minutes and then you bringing them back together again, bringing together what has been learnt and then going on to the worksheet?
    I would imagine that in a class with approximately 30 kids that some of them will switch off during 30 minutes of teacher led discussion, which is not going to look good in an interview.
    In a discussion scenario in a classroom you need to be aware of the different personalities within the classroom. Who answers when, who is reluctant, who needs to be drawn out, which kids need to be watched in case they start trying to grab all the glory. You also need to give the children time to answer the questions that you pose - which could be 30 seconds to a minute. Within the confines of your own classroom this is no problem, but in an observed lesson 10 seconds can seem like a minute and you may end up answering the questions for the students or moving on to another student too quickly.

6. For me priority 1 when looking at an interview lesson is simple - the ability of a candidate to work with and engage students.

7. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

That does seem like rather a large chunk of you talking and also sounds like you already know the quality of the lesson isn't the best - you are flagging up the points yourself! With having a couple of interviews though, if you don't get an offer from the first one and the feedback is that your lesson wasn't exciting enough, then work like the clappers overnight and make sure your second interview lesson is!!

8. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

No problem! Well that no, that shouldn't be a problem because even I have those lessons sometimes, so I'd say it's all good. The only suggestion I would make is, to set clear instructions on what you what your students to do, and make sure you check everybody, and their progress. If someone is stuck, sometimes I would normally quickly get them to stop and say something this "okay, Suzzie has made a really good point (blah blah blah) so if you guys feel the same way make sure (blah blah blah). And, yeah it's not going to be a problem, but your observers are looking to see how instruct a class, how you prepare them for your activity and obviously to see how you can set students off to independently!

9. Thank you so much for all your advice everyone - I got the job! Still can't quite believe it. Thanks again!