1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HODS and Faculty Heads

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by dragon5, May 28, 2011.

1. Our local authority, in pursuit of budget savings, is moving more departments into faculties. PTs are losing their jobs and being asked to apply for the faculty head positions. We have the choice of applying for faculty head posts or simply being demoted.
    I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the difference between PT and FH posts so I know what I am letting myself in for if I apply.
    We do have a job description but the jobs appear very similar to me except FH have more of a strategic approach and work more closely with SMT.

2. Our school went through something similar. The new faculty heads are called "Directors of School". So my job went from head of humanities to director of humanities and social science. Each faculty also has a deputy director of school. As a director of school, I am part of SLG (senior leadership group) and take on some whole school responsibilities. Your school can organise it's management structure any way it wants, so compare the two job descriptions carefully. Roles within schools vary across the country.

For me, this new structure means that I meet with the management group more. Our approach as a team is more consistent and strategic. I get more of a say in whole school policy. Middle leadership is essential to drive forward policies on the ground within any school, I feel like there is less 'directive' from above, I feel like part of the decisions. I also do more gate duties etc. On the plus I get paid more - TLR 1D.

Hope that helps!