1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD to HOD job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kogilvie, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I've been HOD of a big department for 4 years now, and have had great success raising exam results and building a strong team. I enjoy my job but now feel like a change of scene and a fresh challenge as the major things that needed fixing when I arrived are now fixed.
    I have been wondering about applying for another HOD job. I don't feel fully equipped for Assistant Head yet, and my present DH told me that 2 HOD jobs looks bad on the 'CV' and that it's a waste of time. What's your opinion?
    Katie

2. I've been HOD of a big department for 4 years now, and have had great success raising exam results and building a strong team. I enjoy my job but now feel like a change of scene and a fresh challenge as the major things that needed fixing when I arrived are now fixed.
    I have been wondering about applying for another HOD job. I don't feel fully equipped for Assistant Head yet, and my present DH told me that 2 HOD jobs looks bad on the 'CV' and that it's a waste of time. What's your opinion?
    Katie

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you don't feel ready for AHT, then don't go for it yet. Who knows - you might in fact never want to be an AHT! There are fewer and fewer posts being advertised, anyway: peak of 1,200 in 2008, last year under 1,000.
    And if you feel like a new challenge - why not?
    I'm not in agreement about 2 jobs looking bad; it will all depend how you present it in your application letter if you do go for promotion subsequently. A positive presentation of new challenge, consolidation of some skills and development of new ones, will be fine.
    Sounds as though you have a lot going for you and should be a strong candidate. Choose the second job carefully, and of course read the advice in the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best of luck!

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!