1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD to classroom teacher

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by star107, Jan 5, 2014.

1. star107

star107 New commenter

Hi

I wonder if other HoD's could give me some advise.

I am currently a HoD and considering a school move in the near future. I am considering only applying for a classroom teacher role, rather than HoD. I feel I would like to learn and develop my skills in the classroom further and under another HoD I can learn from, before again applying for HoD positions. I was promoted very quickly, so feel I need to build my skill set further.

I just wondered, if an application from a former HoD lands on your desk for a classroom teacher, how would you feel about it? Would you see this as being an issue or benefit? Has anyone ever do this before, is it a wise career move?

any thoughts would be appreciated

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've done it. Got turned down for 2 posts, partly, I suspect, because the HoDS in question were worried about my reasoning. I spent a year as main scale in my current school, then got promoted again! 4 years on, I have just been offered HOD on SLT and turned it down.

3. star107

star107 New commenter

Thank you for your reply, I am pleased to see it can work!

4. I've done it, for very similar reasons. It will depend on the school, some will steer clear, but you don't want to work for them anyway!

5. jessicajane

jessicajane New commenter

I've just done it. Currently a hod and today I accepted a job as a classroom teacher as I too was promoted very quickly and don't enjoy the role one bit. I just explained my reasons (the same as yours) when I met the assistant head informally. The school weren't worried at all and said get settled and you can apply for a responsibility further down the line if you feel ready for it. So don't worry just go for it and be prepared to explain your reasons.

6. star107

star107 New commenter

Thank you so much for both of your replies! I have taken the plunge and applied for classroom teacher position, fingerscrossed I get to interview.

I really appreciate your reassurance - best of luck!

7. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Hey there, do you know if you have got an interview by any chance?

8. star107

star107 New commenter

Yes I have been invited for interview next week, for a classroom teacher position.

So we will see... fingerscrossed!

9. I made the move 10 years ago. Made it clear in the letter of application why I was stepping down - I talked about taking stock, seeing where education was moving, focusing on what I entered teaching to do i.e. teach.

However, you've got an interview so I guess some of those things were in your letter of application. Hope it went well (noticing when your last post was made) and that if you didn't get it, you had a good experience.

And the move needn't harm your career, ten years on, I recently stepped back up to HOD (in the same school) and am happy enough.

10. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

When I move schools in a year or so (planning a move after my maternity leave + 13 weeks), I will be applying for classroom teacher positions. I have been promoted to head of a one person department, mainly because I'm the only teacher and they wanted the subject to be a bit more separate.

11. star107

star107 New commenter

Thanks for the further comments, I am pleased to see that it will work out. I didn't get the first position I applied for, but it wasn't the right school - so on to the next!