1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HoD role

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by dmariethomas, May 16, 2019.

1. dmariethomas

dmariethomas New commenter

I am thinking of applying for a HoD role, but am feeling a little daunted by the process and the requirements of the role (core subject). Any words of advice for the application and/or interview (if I am shortlisted)?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Try posting in the HOD forum.

Genric advice: don't be humble - layout your achievements and abilities very clearly, showing why you are right for the role. Have ideas for what you would do in specific scenarios (eg. how to improve attainment of HPAs/boys/EAL students/etc).

Good luck.

3. FunkyTeacherFun

FunkyTeacherFun New commenter

Be prepared to look at data; identifying areas of strength/weakness. It is possible that you could be asked what you would do to try and improve the weak areas you identified.

How would you hold staff to account/difficult conversations. Have you got any examples that you can draw upon?

I agree with tb9605 about discussing your achievements to show why you are the best person for the role.

Good luck!