1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD post advertised for Sept. Why so late?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by tailspin, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Seen a couple of HOD posts i am thinking about but they have just gone online for September start - Just wondering if this is probably already an internal but had to advertise externally. I want to go for the job but don't want to waste a long application if i'm being naive and it's probably already filled within the school.
    (Good school - so probably not a late advertisement due to desperation)

Thanks

2. Seen a couple of HOD posts i am thinking about but they have just gone online for September start - Just wondering if this is probably already an internal but had to advertise externally. I want to go for the job but don't want to waste a long application if i'm being naive and it's probably already filled within the school.
    (Good school - so probably not a late advertisement due to desperation)

Thanks

3. It could just be that the hod got new position just before the may deadline. Are they specific about a September start? Often they give a January option at this time of year.

4. There may have already been some internal rearrangement and this vacancy is what is left. So far as I am aware, HoD jobs don't have to be externally advertised so it would be an expensive exercise if it was a fait accompli (although I may be wrong).

5. You can leave my mutual consent at any time. If your head is sympathetic, it shouldn't be a problem.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Don't forget that vacancies can suddenly occur when a teacher drops dead in post - it happens all too often (including to a friend of mine who expired in front of his pupils at the age of 38).

7. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Jobs have to be advertised, but not externally - my internal promotion was simply advertised on the noticeboard in the staff room, I was the only one to apply.

If they're going to the expense of advertising externally I'd say that either there isn't an internal candidate, or at least not one that they're sure of.

Any experience teacher will be in the same boat of not being able to start in September, get in touch with them and see what they have to say?