1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HoD Office

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by scientist555, Nov 13, 2015.

1. scientist555

scientist555 New commenter

How many HoDs have or share an office and are not expected to just work in their own classroom?

Just interested to hear as know of some HoDs, even in core subjects, that have to do everything in their own classroom and have to work in the staff room when their room is being used.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

my school has dept staffrooms, but not every hod also has a separate hod office

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Varies massively. I have my own office, though have worked in a school where all colleagues in my dept shared a bigger office and had their own desk. Also worked in a very small school where no-one under SLT had any form of office, and if you needed to make a phone call to parents then you'd have to use the main school office...

Can't be an ideal situation at all. Where do you file things? Where do you leave coursework/internal exams/other documents that you don't want students to get their hands on? Where do you have a private chat with that NQT who needs help, or the colleague on the verge of losing it?

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Core department and we have an office. It's really an old conference room; we were moved out of the old place very last minute but have settled now and have gradually turned in into a place to work and eat. Never has all 15 of us in there together due to spilt lunches or we would have a serious issue!

Nice to have a base to leave notices and messages, and cake of course, but necessary for safe storage of CA etc...

No phone though but you can't have anything.

5. dookiedaveuk

dookiedaveuk New commenter

Had an office but never used it really, I worked in my room or wanted to be in the centre of the department. The office was a quiet space for occasional head down time, and the storage of files of paperwork.

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

In my old school, no heads of department had an office, though later on some did get one (invariably by sharing with a member of SLT). It was an old building, so maybe offices weren't the done thing when the school was built – I imagine all teachers had their own classroom back then (now, rooms are rarely free at all).

In my current school, all heads of department have an office. The school (PFI) was built with them. Some of the leaders of newly-formed departments have had to find an office (normally something disused in what remains of the old building). Each department has a workroom (most of which are laughably small), which sometimes doubles up as the HoD's office. Classrooms are never, ever free (to the extent that classes have had to be merged because there physically aren't enough rooms to timetable them).

7. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

We had a department office with desk space for 2-3 people at any one time out of a team of 10. All departments in our school had a similar situation. We did have a rather larger store cupboard though with a desk for doing speaking exams which was a handy place to sit and get some work done without constant interruptions as people thought there was nobody in the office! (Clearly as 2nd then HoD I did make myself available to my team but it did stop random drop-ins from other staff who could have, and then did, send me an email)

8. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

In my previous school, every SL had an office - apart from Art and Drama.

In my current school, every department has an office, where we all have our own desks and then we have side desks to put paperwork on. We also have a little round table for meetings.

I haven't seen all HoD offices, but most are similar to English dept.

9. install

install Star commenter

Turned our storeroom into an office also which works well.