1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HoD, is 25 too young?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MissCranie, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am a 25 year old French teacher who is in her 4th year of teaching. From the outset as a probationer I have run my own department in a small school in the south west of Scotland. I 'ticked the box' and have been solely responsible for building a successful French department from very scarce foundations.

I currently plan all courses, deliver French from S1-S6, devise and evaluate my SIP and I am responsible for choosing/ordering all resources. I now feel ready for the challenge of actually holding the title of HoD and wondered what people thought with regards to how much experience you feel is necessary to apply for a promoted post.

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Merci en avance.

2. Hi all,

I am a 25 year old French teacher who is in her 4th year of teaching. From the outset as a probationer I have run my own department in a small school in the south west of Scotland. I 'ticked the box' and have been solely responsible for building a successful French department from very scarce foundations.

I currently plan all courses, deliver French from S1-S6, devise and evaluate my SIP and I am responsible for choosing/ordering all resources. I now feel ready for the challenge of actually holding the title of HoD and wondered what people thought with regards to how much experience you feel is necessary to apply for a promoted post.

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Merci en avance.

3. I think all of this sounds really positive. You have shown a lot of vision. Just a couple of practical questions: who else is in your department, what is your experience of managing staff, what are your results like?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It may not be too young & 4 year's experience isn't bad, but my worry would be, how you would handle dealing with other, possibly older more experienced colleagues.
    Heading up a department doesn't just involve doing everything yourself. Sometimes the best leaders are those who know how to delegate, whilst also being able to reinforce that they have the final say.
    How confident are you at being able to support other colleagues? What style of leadership are you aiming for? How would you approach a colleague resistant to changes which you'd like to bring about?One who's struggling? These are the type of questions you need to be considering if you're aiming for HoD.
    Personally I'd be looking at being 2nd in dept or just responsibility for . . . at a larger school first.

5. I am the sole teacher of languages in the school, and have been since I started teaching. I realise that this puts me in a somewhat disadvantaged position but I do have experience of managing and organising. I have carried out a successful Paris trip and I'm currently planning my second for June of this year. I am also the school Global Education coordinator, responsible for the maintenance of the school partnership with a Kenyan school.

Coming from a small school, teaching all levels and being the sole teacher I have had to teach Higher French in my non-contact periods (with some support from another school.) For two years running both pupils achieved A's. In terms of Standard Grades my results are consistent with the national averages (taking the deprived area in which I teach.)

My problem is that I have been for a few interviews for standard departmental positions and have been told to wait until a HoD job comes along because of my experience as head teachers fear I may leave for a HoD job.

It's a difficult situation to be in as I want to become part of a department and yet I also long to further my career and feel ready to develop.

Hope this helps.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You seem to be in tough position- you need experience of working with other colleagues & also experience in another school. So what about using those reasons as your' positive spin' on your applications?

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

MissCranie, go for it. I'd been teaching for 4 years when I was appointed as HOD, and I was only 28 then. Yes I've had the odd comment from governors about my age, but nothing much. Luckily it's a very small department and all my colleagues are very lovely and ready to take things on board. I'd look for jobs which are just one step up rather than several - i.e. not too big a team, not too much of change to bring about, just to give you the experience and time you need. You've got a lot going for you (a lot more than I did) so don't let age keep you behind!
    Noémie