1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD Interview

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by irish cailin, Apr 28, 2020.

1. irish cailin

irish cailin New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I have an interview on Thursday for a HOD RE job and I've been asked to create a 10 min presentation entitled “My 100 days” outlining what you might do in the role of Head of RS in your first 100 days.

Any advice on what I should say and how I should lay it out? (ppt???)

Thanks in advance

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Yes, tailor it to the particular school.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I would be cautious about any technology. I'd also be cautious about PowerPoint: you must not read from the screen, and that's what most people do.
    And yes, tailor the presentation to the school - which means doing some finding out.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck.
    Once in my career, I attended an interview where they admitted to failings and wanted to know what I'd do about it.
    Mostly you'll have to find out what's going on from a range of sources: interviews with colleagues and students, schemes of work, exam results. Your job in this presentation is to explain how you plan to find out, and explain what you hope your department will look like before Christmas.
    Good luck.
    Don't forget to look for good things!

5. almort

almort New commenter

Look, listen,support and identify 3 key areas to move forward where you can have most impact. Ensure these areas for development are in line with SIP and focus on student outcomes.

6. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

Good luck, my friend!

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Present as if you are already doing the job. Agree keep slides and content to a minimum - that are a back drop and you should be expanding on the content . NEVER read. Sometimes a cartoon / image can engage v quickly BUT you also risk it falling flat ? Agree re student outcomes - so with your appointment what do you expect to see ( success criteria ) as a result of your input ? Agree planning needs to reflect whole school priorities.

8. irish cailin

irish cailin New commenter

The interview takes place via google meet so having a PowerPoint presentation wouldn't be feasible?

9. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I have a strong recollection of a visitor giving a presentation to a whole year group reading from the ppt with her back to the students. There was a rush of tutors from the back of the hall to face the students and stop the inevitable.