1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD Interview

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by DaisyBill, Oct 28, 2017.

1. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

Good Morning

I have an interview for a head of department post whereby i have to give a presentation on "Setting out your vision for the Computing Department and how i would lead the team to achieve this"

Any tips/advise on what to make sure i have included?

Also any tips/advise for the actual interview, i am not very good at interviews as i get really nervous,

Many thanks

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

What are your aims? What does good teaching and learning look like in computing? How can you ensure students achieve their potential in your subject? How would you like students to feel about computing? How might you raise its profile?
    How would you lead a team to achieve these aims? What kind of leader are you? How would you share good practice and involve others in this? How can you ensure high standards throughout the dept in all lessons?

They have given you a two-part question. My approach would be to come up with three key points to address each part, and talk around each, though it is up to you how you tackle it. The questions I've given above certainly aren't exhaustive, just a springboard to get you started hopefully.

There is some good advice on the Tes website about interviews and how to prepare for them with mindmaps. I normally jot down my thoughts on lots of possible questions, though there is the danger of sounding like you've rehearsed if you do this in too much detail.

Good luck.

3. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

Thank you