1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD Interview

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by IsmenesSister, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Merry Christmas all.
    I am hoping to pick your brains whilst we are in good spirits, if I may?
    I am currently acting HOD (Drama) due to the HODs unexpected leave. Naturally, the school have advertised for a new HOD and I have applied and been invited to interview straight after the Christmas break (details of the day to be confirmed by letter). I have been HOY previously but haven't ever applied for a HOD role.
    My questions are:
    -what could I prepare for an interview? (I am expecting to talk about my vision for the department, innovation and my own professional development and experience - is there anything else?)
    -what would you expect to see in a HOD lesson i.e. anything different to a normal lesson?
    -I currently teach all the KS4 and 5 classes - could I be asked to teach my own class in an interview or is this unlikely due to being unfair on the other candidates?
    Thank you in anticipation!
    Is.

2. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Something which I always think works a treat is to put together a portfolio. In mine I have:
    • Complete SOWs for each Key Stage and example Lesson Plans
    • Photos of plays I have directed
    • Letters of thanks from students/parents
    • Letters I have written home (both bad and good)
    • Examples of reports I have written
    • Any certificates
    • Assessment Policies etc
    That way, when I am asked a question I can say "well in this SOW you can see how I have clearly outlined potential for AfL - here in lesson 3 I have used this peer assessment sheet" etc. I can give concrete examples.
    It has always worked for me. My lessons are no different as an HOD, but my managerial skills are and that is what they will focus on I think - how would you deal with a problematic student in a colleagues class? How would you deal with a member of your department challenging you? What does an outstanding lesson look like? Why should DRama be on the curriculum? These arethe sort of things I've been asked in previous HOD interviews.
    Good luck. I actually think as an internal candidate you have to work twice as hard because they are trying to be so "fair" - make sure you have LOTs of examples of actual things you can show that you have achieved.

:)