1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD interview for Maths - Future issues affecting Maths teaching?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by boznia, Feb 8, 2011.

1. boznia

boznia New commenter

Hi all, I have a HOD interview this week and am wondering about upcoming changes that might affect us wonderful Maths teachers which I am not aware of.
    Can anyone let me know of things I ought to know? I am fairly sorted on a few things but don't want to miss anything out.

Thanks!

2. boznia

boznia New commenter

Hi all, I have a HOD interview this week and am wondering about upcoming changes that might affect us wonderful Maths teachers which I am not aware of.
    Can anyone let me know of things I ought to know? I am fairly sorted on a few things but don't want to miss anything out.

Thanks!

3. Given the current state of policy making in education and the team advising Michael Gove on maths education in particular, just expect many random changes in policy which will have grim consequences.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Well they seem to have a fascination with linear courses.

5. Good luck with the interview though! =D

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

It kinda depends what you are and arnt aware of tbh

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

That is not to say that APP is not a valid issue. Some of it made sense (as far as it has affected our school, the English department thought it was the best thing since sliced bread) - I nicked the best bits and left the nonsense well alone. As to what those best bits are, well that's for you to form your own view on - you want to be HoD after all. It will be vital for you to have firm ideas on assessment, how you see its future given the demise of any (albeit non-statutory) pressure from on high. The bottom line, we still need to assess - so what's your vision as to how - how are you going to lead your department?
    Qualifications are a read herring - they're just things we enter kids for. Yes you need to be aware of current issues but the A-level changes are a few years off yet (thank God).
    Have you thought about the generic responsibilities for Heads of Dept? My 'bible' when I applied was an early Standards Unit document - I wouldn't be surprised if it is still out there on the internet - called the National Standards for Heads of Subject/Department. All the advice in there, I turned into a question and thought about how I'd answer it. (I didn't send up a 'vessel in distress' flare on the TES Maths forum...)

8. googolplex

Anyone read any herrings recently[​IMG]

9. googolplex

If you want a copy of that National Standards document, I've just found it on my hard drive - 1998 document, but still reads well.
    PM me if interested.

10. Now I heard that but it surprised me, because at WEF in December everyone seemed to think that the outcome of the consultation re moving from 6 modules to 4 had been a relatively straight forward move to 5 - just combining C3&C4 onto one paper.
    Given Gove's preference for less modules...... any idea what happened DM?

11. DM

DM New commenter

May I refer you to the thread that explained the distinction between less and fewer?

12. Are you ducking the question or do you just like Billy Joel?

13. DM

DM New commenter

I don't understand that reference and I can't be bothered wasting a single second on such questions.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Fewer loons make for less frustration DM[​IMG]

15. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Re. Michael Gove, I was talking with a really knowledgable guy yesterday who said that we should be far more worried about Nick Gibb and his view of what the curriculum should be. Interesting - I'm not sufficiently clued-in to know.

16. We should be terrified by both of them.
    Both have not a clue what they're talking about and utterly ludicrous confidence that they know what they're doing.
    The usual parties who get to talk to new Secretaries of State for Education say Gove is not listening to any of the normal channels. He just knows deep down that he is right so he doesn't need to.

17. DM

DM New commenter

That makes three of you then.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

19. I asked you if you had any idea why, when the outcome of the consultation re: A-level appeared to be a consensus for 5 modules, we suddenly ended up with six DM? When and how did that happen. I ask you because you have clearly stated that it did happen so you must have some reference for the context in which it happened.
    Play the ball not the man DM.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Blimey DM she's had a sex change. No wonder she's been ( relatively) quiet.