1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD gone part time?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by StrangelyOptimistic, May 24, 2011.

1. Just a quick question. I am a teacher in a department of just two teachers. So its me and the HOD. She is barely in the department anyway as she has a lot of other high profile responsibilities around the school (assistant head, faculty head etc). However she is just announced that because of childcare issues with her 4 year old she is going to change to part time where she is only in school for a few hours a day, 4 days a week. This means that the majority of an her departmental responsibilities such as department detentions, data tracking, dealing with exam entries, coursework folders etc are going to fall to me. Plus she has an after school revision session for 6th formers which I am going to have to take over. Just wondered if anyone else had ever been in this situation?

I would love to take on the role of Head of Department as I do feel ready for it, and am willing to do all this extra work, to prove my worth so to speak but it does seem unfair that I will have to do it with no extra pay or job title where as she is going to get to retain her title and pay and do half the work?

Anyone had experience of this?

2. You have a very valid point. Can you raise your concerns with your line manager from the SMT at your school? You should not be doing all the extra work with no reward but unfortunately it often happens in schools. I am a HOD on 4 days so I know it is very very hard to juggle it all (I have 2 children under 5) so I am sure your HOD will need lots of help. I work 4 full days and nobody else takes on my responsibilities when I am not there - any parents eves or open nights that fall on my day off I do. Definately go and see the SMT as you have a right to raise your concernes and discuss the career development you are wanting and then assess it from there ... if no joy maybe it is time to move on but even that is not easy in the current climate. Good luck with it all. J x

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Why would you be doing any of them? It will go in her pigeon hole like it currently does, and she will deal with it when she is in. Yes, sometimes people will be tempted to pass things on to you because you would deal with it quicker, but you must stand firm and refuse to do them, unless you are given financial responsibility for these. I wouldn't want my second in department to tackle exam entries if I'd been out on a course, for instance, or off sick for a couple of days. Departmental detentions are for me to do because they are the next level up from teacher detention. Most of the things you describe aren't a "must be dealt with in 24 hours" kind of thing. If she can't do the job in reduced time then SLT will notice quick enough.
    It does sound like generally she's not really pulling the department forward and that you are resenting it. Perhaps you could talk to her about your worries about the implications of her going part-time, just to assert that you will not take her job over.