1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HoD; getting to interview but not getting job, ideas?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by srk1, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. srk1

srk1 New commenter

Hi,
    I have applied for 4 Heads of Department jobs over the last year and each time have been interviewed but not got the job. When I have received feedback, it has always been positive. So where am I going wrong?
    This has knocked my confidence a lot and am starting to feel it is to do with my age (49) or because i do not have Oxbridge/ phD qualifications. Each time the job has gone to someone younger, or with a doctorate or someone who was known to the existing HoD.
    I know my application is strong but don't know what more I can do?
    I am in the process of making another application but am afraid of rejection.
    Anyone any ideas please?

Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4 interviews isn't that many really. You also need to find the right School and the right 'fit'.
    You may well have a 'strong application' but there are other factors that gain one the job.

Don't assume you're not 'good enough', just because you didn't get those posts. You just didn't get those posts. Another one / others will be completely different. You just need to keep on going.

wordsworth, srk1 and nervousned like this.
  3. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

If you are getting positive feedback then if you keep trying it will eventually happen. Rejection is part of the game I'm afraid. Your age should not be an issue and there are far more HoDs without Oxbridge/PhDs than those with them.

srk1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

At the one HoD interview I went to, at a rather nice private school, the feedback I got was that everything was great except I had to "deal with the fact that you are not already a Head of Department". I can't think that your age is a barrier, otherwise you wouldn't have made the short list. If you are concerned about the Oxbridge thing, and especially if you are applying at a highly academic school where is might be relevant, then fimd a way of emphasising your subject knowledge. And don't let it get you you - to even make the short list shows that you have the attributes needed, and simple Mathematics show that, on average, people get rejected far more times than they get the job.

Lara mfl 05, srk1 and sabrinakat like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Four interviews is nothing. Sheeeesh!
    Just keep applying and you will eventually, often by sheer chance, find yourself applying for the perfect post in the perfect school where you are a perfect fit.

Just keep going.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.