1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD experiences required please!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Pmer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 1st year - NQT

2nd year - KS4 co-ordinator

3rd year - assist head of year

4th year - 2nd in core

6th year - head of core

I found it useful to have the experience under my belt before taking on head of a core subject. Even then it was a big step up with a lot more accountability.

2. WD

WD New commenter

8 years main scale, 10 years AST (including spells as Head of Faculty and Head of Year), now in 3rd year of HoD. Not really a standard route tbh. more a downwards spiral.

3. I took on a temp TLR in Y3, moved schools for a permanent TLR in Y4, and became HoDin Y7 (also moving up to UPS 1 at the same time nice for the wallet)
    I am Science not Maths but still a core subject I now manage 9 1/2 teachers, 4 Teechnicians an a TA all good fun!
    Be the best you can be volenteer for additional tasks when you can to gain experience, be organised and efficent, and above all keep a smile on your face and try not to whinge too much!