1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD expecting me to work during my maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cherryontop, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave and yesterday my HOD phoned me and asked me to complete the comments on my pupils reports and that she would e-mail them over and expect them back within a week. Apparently my cover does not know the kids well enough to complete the comments (I am doubtful whether my class is being covered properly at all!).

Is this reasonable? I dont want to refuse to do something that is actually my responsibility, but I also dont want to spend my maternity leave doing school work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave and yesterday my HOD phoned me and asked me to complete the comments on my pupils reports and that she would e-mail them over and expect them back within a week. Apparently my cover does not know the kids well enough to complete the comments (I am doubtful whether my class is being covered properly at all!).

Is this reasonable? I dont want to refuse to do something that is actually my responsibility, but I also dont want to spend my maternity leave doing school work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

No.

HOD and your Cover teacher paid to sort this out this problem.I also note the short deadline.
    [​IMG]
    Schools use to run very well before e-mails.
    Any further hassle,please speak to your Union

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

It's not your responsibility, but if you can give a few comments I've no doubt that they would be grateful, esp. re: exam classes. If you feel pressured, contact your Union. And, maybe, don't check school emails!

5. Blooming cheek! You are on Maternity Leave. Any self respecting school would have planned for this in advance.
    Tell them, politely, no.

6. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Well I'm a head of department, and think your HoD has a damn cheek! You are on leave and shouldn't be asked to do anything work related...as has been said, someone is being paid to cover your job! In this kind of event, we normally put a bland comment like 'Mrs X is currently on maternity leave and unable to give a comment'
    I'd ignore this request if I were you, and if anyone questions you, say that you hadn't checked your e-mail.
    Again, seek union support if you feel you need it.
    Mark

7. Thanks for the replies! I thought this was the case, but just wanted to check. I made sure that I met any deadlines for work before I left, so it feels unfair that this deadline now seems to apply to me, even tho it is in the middle of mhy maternity leave!

Just feel angry now cos it has unsettled me and put me back in 'work mode'.

8. No way should you be doing this. It is NOT your responsibility at the moment. Did you speak to the HOD directly, or did they leave a voicemail? If a voicemail, I would suggest that you reply by email, saying that because you have been exhausted following the birth of your baby, you have had your phone off due to needing to sleep during the day . Hopefully, that should make them think a bit. If you did speak to them, email saying you are sorry but you are finding it impossible to find time to do this whilst on maternity leave and suggest that the comment another poster mentioned - Mrs x can't give a comment... etc- is added to the reports, since you assume any parent would be sympathetic to the fact that someone on maternity leave cannot be expected to write reports. Then ignore any withheld numbers and their emails. Enjoy your time with your baby, and congratulations.

9. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I could just about accept a teacher to be asked for comments if reports were due a couple of weeks after ML had started but if you're in the middle of it,the cover teacher should know enough about the class!

10. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

In every school I've worked in has given time to the woman before going on maternity leave to get the reports done before they leave if the reports are due within that term. Otherwise the cover person has done them, albeit a bit bland if necessary (i.e. comment on attainment and behaviuor)

11. The bottom line is that your school is not paying you anything during maternity leave, so you are not required to perform any duties. SMP payments are merely passed on to you and do not come out of school budgets.
    If the school wanted you to work, and you were willing to do so, it can arrange to employ you for up to 10 days during your leave for which you should be paid at the appropriate dalily rate.

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

The school should be able to compile some generic comments from attainment data taken throughout the year. Won't be very personal, but sometimes this is unavoidable.

13. I'd tell them to take a run and jump, however, you are entitled to 10 paid sessions during your maternity leave. You could, I suppose, do the comments, claim the hours and take a bit of an extra dosh home, say 4 days!!!!!! This would get the job done and be an added departmental expense! It would also highlight the HOD's poor planning to those above him/her!!!!!

14. frustum

frustum Established commenter

Not quite: if both the employer and the employee wish, then there can be up to 10 days employment, but if only one party is interested, it doesn't happen.