1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOD - Correct or Wrong?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by claire20000, Feb 11, 2012.

1. When I was an NQT - a HOD was drafted in to fill in the maths position while the maths HOD was on maternity leave.
    A pupil was unruly and I sent her out of the class. She went off and went to the HOD, who then brought her back into the classroom.
    I then got no respect from that class for the rest of the year.
    I tried to explain, even quite forceably at one point to the HOD her mistake in bringing that pupil back in and how it has undermined my authority - but either she couldn't see it - or didn't want to admit it.
    At month before I left that school, the girl was unruly again (much more than usual) so I sent her out. She tried the same thing again but I was ready this time.
    I caught them both at the door on their way back and I TOLD he HOD outside with the girl present that she IS NOT coming back in.
    At this point the school did not know I planned to leave anyway. I got a different reaction from the class when that gossip circulated around via that girl no doubt. Should have done that earlier.
    But before I left I needed to know if I was right or wrong.
    What do you think? Honestly - your thoughts? Do you think it was co-incidence the class reacted differently? Do you think I was right or wrong to chuck the girl out, even the first time? Do you think more teachers should have a bit of bottle and stand up to the HOD or any SLT who undermines them? Why don't more teachers? Did I have an advantage because I was leaving so was not trapped. They didn't know - and they did no sanctions against me for standing up to HOD. All of us where female by the way.
    So - I would be interested in your hones thoughts on this one so came to this "have your say" part of the board.
    Thanks
    Claire

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It depends on behaviour policy. I don't send students out often, but when I do, I go out and speak to them and they come back in. If behaviour is bad enough for inclusion, they'd be going anyway. I don't think it's acceptable to send a child out of a class and leave them there! I get very fed up with people who send out students and then leave them to disrupt my class by looking through the door etc. In my last school, we could send students to HoD with work but that never happens in my present school.

3. Hi Gloria,
    I did send her out with the intention of letting her back in after 5 mins, but she ran off to the HOD. The HOD bringing her back made it look like she over-rode me and that led to disrespect from the kids
    Weak HOD?

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

One incident and you got no respect for the year? Oh dear....

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I don't think so. It might have been better to have asked you to step outside so that she could apologise to you and you let her back in, but perhaps he was trying to get her back in without causing a fuss. I wouldn't see it as weakness. Presumably kept her back at the end of the lesson to put things right? I don't see how bringing her back to her lesson could have changed the class's view of you.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Children are sent out to me and after a bit of a telling off and some time sat by themselves in my room I take them or send them back, generally within about 10 mins.

If I'm sending the child back I tell them they have to apologise when to their teacher when they get back, but can't guarantee that they do. If I take them back then sometimes I make them apologise and sometimes they just slip in quietly so as not to disrupt the lesson any more than they already have.

None of this leads to a loss of respect from the class. The teacher has shown s/he is not tolerating the behaviour by sending the child out.

I wouldn't be at all impressed if a teacher refused to have a child back, who had been sent out for rudeness, and would be speaking to the HT should such a thing occur. Teachers do not get to pick and choose who they teach..