1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HoD and considering stepping down

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dcave, Feb 18, 2018.

1. dcave

dcave New commenter

Hi, I am currently head of PE and am thinking of stepping down to a normal teaching role. I've seen some conversations on here about if your employed as HoD you probably have to resign feom the post and leave but I worked 15 years in the same school as a normal teacher and interviewed for the HoD role. I never signed a HOD contract I was just given a TLR for the role. Will I be able to step down and just lose the TLR or is there more consequences to this action?

I am stepping down for personal reasons baby on the way etc.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You've been there 15 years. You must have a decent relationship with the HT. I'd just sit down with him/her and talk through it.

There could be a lot of options that might occur to him/her. Such as stepping down on a temporary basis. Or keeping the role but going part-time or lots of things.

I'd really just go through it with them. They can't be that bad if you've been there for so long.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You have been offered and accepted the contract verbally and agreement for both parties is confirmed by you being paid. You can't just step down without agreement from the HT. Like @grumpydogwoman says, just talk it through with the Head. Now is a good time before timetables etc get finalised for the next academic year.

Piranha, wanet, Rott Weiler and 2 others like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If there is someone already employed who you think could be ready to step up, then add that in to the conversation with the head. If you give them a solution to the problem of finding someone else, they are more likely to say yes.

If there is no one else currently employed who could do the post, then you might find they say you'll need to keep it.

wanet and nomad like this.
  5. dcave

dcave New commenter

They currently interviewing for the 4th principal since I've been there!

We are advertising soon for another member of the team so maybe that's the option after speaking to the HT

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Because the maternity issue does make it very complicated. Not in a bad way, I hasten to add. Just might open up even more options.

Think ahead for about 6 years and see if you could build some flexibility into your future.

It's a golden opportunity in a way.

7. dcave

dcave New commenter

I'm not going on maternity my wife is expecting lol

8. Anonymouse4

Anonymouse4 Occasional commenter

Just wanted to say congratulations on becoming a parent and how much I applaud you, as a new dad to be, re-evaluating your work/life balance and wanting to step down from your management position in order to nurture your family.

There are, rightfully, lots of legal rights for women who are giving birth but I think there should be more legal rights for other new parents to make adjustments to their work set up to enable flexibility for family life. It's really important.

Don't forget, you could take shared parental leave. I'm not sure how that works and your wife may want to have her full quota of 12 months off, etc., particularly if she's planning on breast feeding. But might be an option to see how much flexibility there is in arranging a pattern of time off that works for you both.

Hope you get what you want from your school and good luck with everything. Exciting times!!!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well definitely get talking to the head as soon as possible then!
    They can just as easily advertise for a HOD as for a non-HOD.

Sheeesh!
    Problem solved easily.

Though if there is already someone who could step up, they might appreciate you putting in a good word for them.

Lara mfl 05 and Anonymouse4 like this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Congratulations.
    In my former school, the head seemed quite good about letting people step down when they'd had enough of their TLR. It's up to the head to decide.
    Good luck.

11. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

When you talk to the head, don’t talk about what you can’t do. Talk about what you can offer once you are not HoD.
    The head could say no, you are HoD and can’t automatically drop that. So don’t talk about how you need to stop being HoD because you need to leave 10 mins after the bell every day. That won’t go down well with PE! Talk about how committed you are to extra-curricular and you want to concentrate on that with the time you have rather than HoD paperwork.
    As others have said, I’m sure they can easily employ a young whippersnapper with dreams of greatness to run the department- just make it easy for them to do so while keeping you.
    Good luck with the baby!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  12. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I've known this happen in several instances: pregnant colleagues have returned part-time and/or without their TLR at their own request, I hasten to add. HoD roles soak up even more valuable family time. It's sad that this is the nature of the job but I completely understand where these colleagues were coming from. Thinking about it - I also know many who didn't who seemed to manage coming back full time with their TLR; but each to their own.

In my opinion, family is so much more important than anything else - but in our profession every child matters apart from our own.

JohnJCazorla and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It would be interesting to know how often a request to stand down from a TLR is refused. I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, it goes ahead. There just has to be that rule there because if you've got a department comprising HoD and three NQTs - or more experienced staff who are clear they don't want any more responsibility, then there may be no way to fill the HoD role without getting rid of someone.

14. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I did this. I talked to the Head about it first and there were people willing to apply for the role who were capable.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There are - if you request flexible working, the employer has to agree to it unless there is a good business reason not to. Whether this could be stretched to a request to step down from HoD I am not sure - if the HoD reole involves extra hours then perhaps it could do. However, if there is nobody in the department willing and able to take over, then I can't see what the school could do to help you. If you just step down and they recruit, then the department wil be overstaffed and somebody will probably have to be made redundant.