1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hockney and the naked bottom.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by delmamerchant, May 16, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I took some booklets that I had collected from the,Hockney exhibition into work last week. A member of staff nearly had a heart attack when she opened the booklet and saw the one with the chap emerging from the pool...back view. No private parts in view.

I had not thought to warn of the nudity.

Are we too easily offended or should it just be seen as art?

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Don't let him/her visit the National Gallery, then - it would be too shocking!!

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Who hasn't seen a bum?

Trigger warnings?

They should get a grip.

MissSimps91 likes this.
  4. delmamerchant

I thought so too.

MissSimps91 likes this.
  5. delmamerchant

Could you imagine!

emerald52 likes this.
  6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Reminds me of the philanthropist owner of Port Sunlight that funded a school and demanded that pictures of nude greeks were hung in the main hall. The governors objected but cowed down when he threatened to withdraw funding.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Of what exactly?;)

Perhaps just turn the other cheek?:rolleyes:

8. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Sorry- To clarify "Get a grip of their senses"

irs1054 likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am still trying to recover from my recent visit to Greece. Museums full of naked statues, many with bits (or one particular bit) broken off. Makes the eyes water to think about it!

emerald52 and MissSimps91 like this.
  10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Don't be, it was better the first time.:D

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Filth!

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You will get a range of 'how easily offended' ness in any school (and workplace.) A naked rear end in the name of art should be fine to most!

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given some of your other threads recently, it might have been better to err on the side of caution with such things.

I agree it is art, but I'd not have thought to rock the boat just now, if I was you.

Sometimes you just have to play the game and keep people on side. (I'm useless at the game, but I know I ought to play it more often!)

14. rorydepp

rorydepp New commenter

How exactly is someones backside art lool

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Tsk.
    If an artist creates 99 pieces without showing a backside and that's art, then you can't really single out the hundredth piece which happens to show a backside and say it's not art because it has a backside in it!
    That's just conveying your thoughts about bare bottoms on display, it's not really conveying any thoughts about art.
    I'd say differently if you'd started by saying "Hockney? Pah! How is his stuff art"? or "It's a rubbish picture, Frida Kahlo paints a much better arrse"
    To ask "how exactly is someone's backside art?" is a variant of the staff reaction depicted in the opening post, which at least amused me to imagine pursed-lip histrionics at what is essentially a nothing.

Apart from that, bit rich that you misspell over 14% of your own post, whereas Hockney's arrse emerging from pool can't even represent 0.0014% of his work.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  16. rorydepp

rorydepp New commenter

I suppose your **** is art too. Best to go and flaunt it, preferably when the head is not looking :)

17. delmamerchant

:D:D:):)

18. delmamerchant

Not of a naked bottom I hope!:D:D

19. delmamerchant

I know what you mean, which is why I put it to the TES community. However, the person in question was moaning about how some members of staff where upset when she bought in cup cakes with male private parts on and discusses her sex life openly in the office. That is why I was rather surprised at her response. That would be my defence stance if it came up. (no puns please:D)