1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hockey coaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by travel n teach, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I've been asked to assist our hockey coach as we have so many girls who are keen to learn to play. Last wk was our first session and she took the older girls while I took the beginners. Now the thing is I haven't played hockey since I was a kid and that was limited and I can't remember much about it to be honest. The coach is very helpful and will provide guidance but I was wondering if anyone has any activites/planning that they'd be willing to share so that I'm not constantly relying on the her each wk. Thanks in advance!

2. I've been asked to assist our hockey coach as we have so many girls who are keen to learn to play. Last wk was our first session and she took the older girls while I took the beginners. Now the thing is I haven't played hockey since I was a kid and that was limited and I can't remember much about it to be honest. The coach is very helpful and will provide guidance but I was wondering if anyone has any activites/planning that they'd be willing to share so that I'm not constantly relying on the her each wk. Thanks in advance!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

England Hockey do a teachers Quicksticks course. Hopefully your hockey coach is following the Quicksticks rules as this is part of the long term development plan for hockey in England. You can complete the course online, full of video clips and ideas.
    Also there is a book - 101 Youth Hockey drills - off Amazon - always useful.

5. Why are only the girls being taught hockey? Boys love to play it too.

6. I don't teach in Eng but will look up the book recommendation, thanks. The boys do hockey too but on a Fri afternoon I take the beginner group for girls. Useful link, Marlin, cheers!