1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hobbies, suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Some of you may recall my post about having no friends a while ago and well... My situation hasnt really changed. Boyfriend is due to go to Afghanistan very soon and the summer is stretching out a long way before me and I'd like to take something up to focus on and help to pass this time. Ideas please, anything welcome. Preferably affordable! Thanks

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Might be worth popping along to Hobbycraft as there was a sale on when I went, loads of crafty bits on offer.
    I went the other day because I wanted to make a wedding card for a friend. Ended up buying bits to make a card, as well as loads of little bits to put in a scrapbook I was planning on making for myself. That will keep me busy!

3. Photography?
    If you already have a camera or a phone with a decent camera just go and take photos. Take shots you wouldn't normally- textures, piles of things etc - and experiment with placement and what to put where in a shot. The advantage of digital is that you can take as many photos as you like and it doesn't cost anything, and it doesn't matter if you take lots of duds! If you've got a smart phone you can download free retro camera apps which add textures and effects to images.
    If you want to be a bit more guided in how to use the different settings on a camera, or how to set up a shot then Amazon will have lots of helpful and inexpensive books.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Captain oats, what s your scrap book about? I can't think of what I'd do?!

I did consider photography, but only get interested when I have a good view or opportunity... Not so great at just taking pics because?!

5. What about learning an instrument :)

6. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I'm being really cheesy and making a scrapbook of my relationship with my boyfriend. From the early days, all our holidays, and moving in together. Got loads of lettering, backing paper and embellishments to decorate it with.

7. I really think you ought to take up something social that would help you to meet people... I can just imagine you at home making your scrap book and I think you'd be lonely. What about rock climbing, or rowing or indeed something political... maybe join your local amnesty international group? You'd get to meet people and do something good for society too... Just an idea...

8. I do scrapbooking as a hobby. It's really popular in the US and South Africa where I'm from. Less so here but getting more popular. I love it and it's as cheap as you want to make it! Check it out online or on facebook where you cab get great ideas for pages to start with.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've just bough a Black Cat Cougar (meant to be good for scrapbooking) you can teach me how to use it [​IMG] x

10. I agree with Jenny! You could try a musical instrument........ there's lots of books and DVD's now on how to play guitar etc, so you wouldn't have to take lessons..... other things that have worked for me...... joining the local library, sudoku, jigsaws, drawing (Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain is a brilliant book.... there may be more up to date ones now....) Hope you find something!

11. volunteering? It's free!
    Local charity shop, social group, soup kitchen....? Also has the bonus of meeting new people

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree with sparkly duck about photography, but if you don't see a potential photograph in pretty much everything you see then it's probably a non-starter. It's certainly a good excuse to get out and about.

13. Hey lilpad,
    I posted recently about being lonely and having a lack of real friends. I tried everything - joining a choir, gym, sewing class - and whilst they were all fun for the six or so weeks they lasted, I didn't make any proper friends, only acquaintances. I'm using this summer to get fit - I've joined a local bootcamp that trains three times a week. Probably won't enjoy it but at least it will keep me busy.
    Whereabouts are you? Prehaps we could meet - it would be a nice day trip??

14. I recently nipped into the local pound shop and bought a sketch book and pencils and am teaching myself to draw. I am not very good at it but am enjoying it immensely. It's very absorbing. I'm thinking of watercolours next.

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hey all, thanks for the lovely replies. :)

I have been thinking long and hard all night, and I think i'm going to try and learn to paint. I'm going to see if there's a course in my local area to go alongside it, which would give me a social side too. I'm going into town today to buy a starter book and some equipment. I love teaching art at school and would love to be better at it so maybe this is my window!

Also, I have been thinking about perhaps joining the gym or something as a means to actually getting out of the house. I know i may not meet anyone, but it still gets me out and about rather than sitting on my sofa!

ilmiss, i'm in Somerset, I think I saw you're in Manchester?