1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ho Chi Minh

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Sherbear320, May 22, 2019.

1. Sherbear320

Sherbear320 New commenter

Hi,

Anyone know what schools are like in Ho Chi Minh

Thanks

2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I haven't worked in HCMC, but visited and in particular the school district as I was looking at working there (but sadly didn't get it...). Most international schools are in District 2, which is a leafy suburb, away from the main madness - HCMC is crazy but in a good way! Housing in that area is expensive compared to other areas, so make sure your package will cover a good housing allowance or provides suitable accommodation. Motorbikes is the preferred way of transport and taxis are cheap. They are currently building a public transport system, but it isn't finished yet. Food delicious, but that goes without saying. Most Western things available, but at a higher cost obviously.

If you need more info on a particular school, could you hint which one it is without naming it? I'm sure someone here can help further.

3. SnorkelingTeacher03

SnorkelingTeacher03 New commenter

HCMC is a city I'm very interested in moving to. However, the high tax rate is a bit of a turn off.

4. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

As above most schools are in D2, however there are a few more schools in D7, although not as international as the ones in D2. D2 is the main expat area, I wouldn't describe it as a leafy suburb though, it can be very busy at times particularly at school pick up and drop off, which is mental and it certainly isn't green (A problem all over HCMC), D7 is more of a leafy suburb. Saying that D2 is great, it has shopping malls, cinemas, amazing food and drink, loads going on, it's like a little expat village (Which some like and some don't).

Two big schools are very good, rest are OK, so make sure you do your research into these schools, particularly in you have children.

HCMC is OK, pretyy much like any big asian city, Vietnam is amazing.

Tax rate shouldn't be an issue, most schools quote salaries after tax, salary wise most schools pay very well, as it it still isn;y a sought after country, certainly compared to Thailand, Singapore and HK.

5. Sherbear320

Has the same initials as the first few letters of Vaseline

:)

6. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

First international job then maybe, as good stepping stone
    Good chance to progress as staff move on a lot.
    Experienced internationally or teach a shortage subject then no
    Children at school age, no
    Wage is pretty good, students are great, not that well run, long hours and less holidays compared to other schools in the area.
    Lots of different sites across HCMC

PhuMyHung likes this.
  7. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

I have just worked out your subject, same as me, send me a message if you want.

8. Sherbear320

Have started conversation

9. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Fewer.

Sorry, I couldn't resist & miss the show already. :p

10. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

Hi, I'm thinking about applying for this school next year (July 2020 start) after completing my NQT, which begins in August. They seem to advertise for my subject, which is secondary English, every year. Do you think this would be a good move?

11. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

As I said it's a good stepping stone lots of staff do 2 years then move on to better schools, I'd apply for better schools first and see if there is any interest.

PhuMyHung likes this.
  12. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Know three who have worked in Saigon in two of the more well known schools.

All very happy there and enjoyed the experience.

13. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I really want to work in Saigon after my stint in China is up! Can anyone give me a good indication of wages there? I'm on 3K GBP a month here in my current school and rent is 200GPB for 4 bed apartment. Will Saigon schools generally pay lower or about the same?

14. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Depends on the school, the job you go for and your experience, I'd say at one of the top 4/5 schools for a teacher with say 10 years experience your take home would be between 2.5 and 3k a month, plus housing and other benefits.

15. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

My OH worked there about a decade ago and was on £2800 + housing. Not sure what the salary is now.