1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HMS St Albans Patisserie Relief

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Have (finally!) received a letter from our son, serving on St Albans. He has included his thanks, on behalf of the ship, for the cakes that have been sent to the crew. He has asked me to let you know that they are hugely appreciated and the crew have been really touched that complete strangers have been motivated to remember them with such a personal gesture. Honestly, it meant a lot.
    As an amusing (for me, not him!) aside, he wrote that my last cake to him coincided with the arrival on board of a dropped-in team who were taking part in an exercise. He had just got the cake out in the Wardroom, surrounded by approving on-lookers, when he was called away. When he got back, not long afterwards, the 'drop-ins' had polished off the lot, leaving him just a few crumby bits at the end. They pronounced it 'delicious'. As he said, you can go off people...
    Should any of you feel motivated to send another cake, it would be wonderful. The ship is deployed to a warzone, providing support in the Gulf for Iraq and Afghanistan and whatever else comes their way. Posting cakes is completely free of charge, providing the package weighs under 2kg. You just take it to the Post Office and they do the rest for you.
    The address for sending is:
    The Patisserie Relief Officer
    HMS St Albans
    BFPO 399
    Many thanks again, you lovely and generous lot! :)

2. Gardening Leaves

Have (finally!) received a letter from our son, serving on St Albans. He has included his thanks, on behalf of the ship, for the cakes that have been sent to the crew. He has asked me to let you know that they are hugely appreciated and the crew have been really touched that complete strangers have been motivated to remember them with such a personal gesture. Honestly, it meant a lot.
    As an amusing (for me, not him!) aside, he wrote that my last cake to him coincided with the arrival on board of a dropped-in team who were taking part in an exercise. He had just got the cake out in the Wardroom, surrounded by approving on-lookers, when he was called away. When he got back, not long afterwards, the 'drop-ins' had polished off the lot, leaving him just a few crumby bits at the end. They pronounced it 'delicious'. As he said, you can go off people...
    Should any of you feel motivated to send another cake, it would be wonderful. The ship is deployed to a warzone, providing support in the Gulf for Iraq and Afghanistan and whatever else comes their way. Posting cakes is completely free of charge, providing the package weighs under 2kg. You just take it to the Post Office and they do the rest for you.
    The address for sending is:
    The Patisserie Relief Officer
    HMS St Albans
    BFPO 399
    Many thanks again, you lovely and generous lot! :)

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I'm lousy at baking cakes, but I helped build the ship he's on (it was the last one I worked on), so at least I have contributed something to him! I'll see if my mum (much better baker than me) will do an extra one to send.

4. When he got back, not long afterwards, the 'drop-ins' had polished off the lot, leaving him just a few crumby bits at the end. They pronounced it 'delicious'.
    Was that my fruit cake? Was it? Was it? [​IMG]
    Next round of cakes coming up......

5. Gardening Leaves

:I'd I think it was my (Nigella) lemon syrup cake! I always send two: one for son and one for the ship. To be honest the officers are likely to be the last ones to get the cakes. They are really good at making sure that they are distributed round the ship to teams. I suspect the only ones that end up in the Wardroom are the ones I send personally for our son. It's why he was so miffed to miss out on it!!