1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Jun 11, 2020.

  1. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    How many supply have checked if they are due a tax refund from the HMRC for paying to much tax, I always check my online account with them, so I can check my earnings and ensure that I can get any tax I have overpaid and I would urge that all supply check the earnings for the year and tax paid, if due a refund contact them asap.
    Happyregardless likes this.
  2. sharon7482

    sharon7482 Occasional commenter

    I have always found them pretty good at working that out.
    gingerhobo48 and Happyregardless like this.
  3. Happyregardless

    Happyregardless Occasional commenter

    I did a declaration of part time earnings to add to personal tax account last night, History Grump for my own peace of mind, I just want to make sure I'm keeping a running balance of any tax owed ( although there wont be for a while unti it reaches my allowance limit and checked then. It's bizarre how I got a tax rebate for several years a few years back ( probably 2016 ish and then nothing for a couple of years now. Please though anyone else who does this, just check it yourself rather than going through a company? I went through a company first time around, as I was full term permanent, rather than supply and simply didn't have any free time to do this and they do a good jobs, but take commission. Since this, the HMRC woman once said to me just call us and we will check it don't go through a middle-man and pay commission.
    MathMan1 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  4. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    Sharon, never trust them, if they can avoid paying out they will do! I was once employed for the summer holidays with the tax office, it was soul destroying.

    Happyregardless - have you registered for an online account with the HMRC, it is a fair simple process and then you can check how much each agency or umbrella company as paid you, how much tax you have paid, etc.

    It may look confusing in that for a normal year, it estimates your tax for the upcoming year based on your weekly earnings,i.e if you £400 the computer thinks that you will earn £21,000 over the year and estimate your tax for the year, when you may in effect earn less then £12,000 then they owe you a tax rebate.

    You can also check your earnings for the previous year, from individual companies and tax paid, it also covers how much you have earned on a weekly basis and tax paid for that week. That way you check what each agency or umbrella company for the last financial year, write down in earnings and tax paid, add the figures up, then you have earnings and tax paid, minus your tax free allowance and you may have tax due back to you, even if you have earned over the tax free allowance, then they should tax you at 20% of that figure, if the tax paid exceeds the 20% then they may owe you money, i.e if you earned £13,000 (your tax free allowance should be around 12,500) and you have paid £400 tax, in theory you should have paid just £100 on the £500 difference and not £400, so they may owe you money and it is worth checking. Also if they do, they will send a form out to you and you can ask for the money to paid into bank account, the money should be paid in within 6 working days, if you ask for a cheque, it can take 6 to 8 weeks before you get the cheque.

    I hope that helps, if so sign up to the online account and check your earnings from last the last financial year, you never know.
    Happyregardless likes this.
  5. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    That reminds me - I need to contact HMRC as well.
    gingerhobo48 and Happyregardless like this.
  6. Happyregardless

    Happyregardless Occasional commenter

    History Grump
    Happyregardless - have you registered for an online account with the HMRC, it is a fair simple process and then you can check how much each agency or umbrella company as paid you, how much tax you have paid, etc.

    Yes, History Grump, I have a 'personal tax account'. I've had it for few years as I have always worked over the School Summer holidays in various roles (industrial cleaner one year what fun that was lol! :rolleyes:) so have had to check for tax rebates etc. Yeah, have checked previous years too. Think mine has all evened out. last year I owed them and paid that but the previous few years I received a rebate. This year, I just want to make sure I am all 'legit' and covered for tax etc so don't get a sudden shock. But still way below annual tax allowance, so fine.
    gingerhobo48 likes this.
  7. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    I'm going to do mine online this year - should be fun.
    gingerhobo48 likes this.
  8. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    Just make the figure up, - minus 25%, I do not think they will know!
  9. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    Good news, I am due a tax refund within the next week, I have been told how much I am due and I have provided my bank details via my online account.

    So don't let the tax office get away from paying back any tax due.
    peakster and BertieBassett2 like this.
  10. steviepal

    steviepal Occasional commenter

    Got mine at the end of April. Spent it all already.
    BertieBassett2 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  11. gingerhobo48

    gingerhobo48 Star commenter

    I got some money back this morning:). I am going to put it towards mini GH's accomodation and living expenses should he ever get to Uni:D.
  12. Happyregardless

    Happyregardless Occasional commenter

    That's great news GH - really pleased for you:)

    History Grump - I wouldnt underestimated HRMC - they sent me ANOTHER notice about tax code changing - probably about the fourth I've had this year and are still very quick to check up on things when they think anyone owesTHEM money! - Glad in your case GH it was the other way around this time x:)
    nvanlimbeek and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    Happyregardless, my tax codes are always changing, it is often depending on who is paying and I have a new tax code and allowances for each agency/umbrella company. It as got to the start I generally ignore them.

    Steviepal, I hope it was spent on something useful! But it is nice to get something back of them, as you will agree.
  14. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    I remember just how intimidated I felt when I did my first tax return a few years ago. In the end I rang them up and someone very helpfully went through what I had to do.

    Since then it's been easy - takes me about an hour and it's done.
    BertieBassett2 likes this.

Share This Page