1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HMRC

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Dec 14, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Tax authorities are stepping up an assault on evasion that led to a 58 per cent rise in convictions last year.

HM Revenue & Customs, which is under pressure from politicians to punish tax cheats harder, issued draft legislation last week for new offences and tougher sanctions.

In the push to increase prosecutions for tax-related offences, 1,258 individuals were convicted of evasion or fraud in the year to 2015, up from 795 a year earlier.

No mention of Corporations!
    The last time they went this way it ended up with a purge on PAYE, soft target, easy money.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It will be the same this time

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The quiet Tory revolution. What happened to the party of low taxation?

4. Didactylos4

With respect, this sort of targeting of easy victims isn't solely the preserve of the Tories.
    As history proves

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I retired from education in 2009 whilst still under a Labour (pink tory) government. I went back to Industry for 5 years until I finally retired. My taxes increased dramatically under the tories who cleverly took away the new increased basic tax allowance by reducing the threshold above which I had to pay 40% tax. That is my history, whether it chimes with yours or others is a matter to discover.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If they chase PAYE or cash-in-hand it won't be so embarrassing as when their Tory chums in big business get caught. The public also respond better to "Tax cheat slammed by judge" headlines than to something with telephone numbers with a £ sign in front that sounds rather complicated.

7. Didactylos4

I wasn't thinking only of the HMRC Lexus

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Brilliant:)

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

OK but I was. A bit of a hobby horse of mine sadly.

10. Didactylos4

And mine at the moment
    Tax returns are great fun

11. Biles

Biles Established commenter

Tax evasion by corporations is unlikely as they are required to produce a set of audited accounts. Any evasion is a bit pointless as the cash involved in the evasion could not easily be transferred to the business owners/shareholders.

12. Didactylos4

Hah!
    Your point may be valid for tax avoidance but not for evasion

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Doffs cap - fair enough sir, we will move on then, nothing to see here boys, the toff said so.

There is scope for uncovering those trying to stay ahead of the law by doing things against the spirit of the law.

14. Biles

The other way round, Corporations avoid tax rather than evade it. Most people avoid tax if they can,

15. Biles

There is and it's not difficult at all.

16. Didactylos4

;)

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I don't get how they can focus on PAYE - if you're on PAYE then you're getting taxed before you get the money anyway, so there's nothing to chase?

18. Didactylos4

It isn't quite that simple Monica

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I thought not - but not being an accountant I wouldn't have a clue where to start if I wanted to fiddle taxes or anything!

Didactylos4 likes this.
  20. Biles

If you self-assess there may be other sources of income that should be taxed. For example, if someone is employed and their salary puts them in the 40% bracket then other income may need to be taxed at 40%. HMRC only know if you tell them.
    Accountants are rarely the ones who fiddle tax. Avoid yes, evade no.