1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HMRC FINES & CHARGES

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by pangar, Jan 4, 2012.

1. In a profession where everyone seems to have plenty to say about what we should be doing, nobody seems that bothered to pipe up about how to square of HMRC. For example, I do a small amount of private tuition to retain contact with mainstream curricula yet I have no idea what I should do to satisfy HMRC apart from keeping invoices, which are declared at the end of each finanacial year.
    Is it true that HMRC having had their bellies scratched by Vodafone and their ilk now want to bully those in my position who are not likely to earn more than a few hundred pounds a year from private tuition? In any event, I'd welcome some informed response to the following email which I have received recently:
    AVOID HMRC FINES AND CHARGES
    FINAL THREE DAYS BEFORE HMRC TAX AMNESTY FOR TUTORS END ON 6TH JANUARY

I CAN HELP YOU IN FILING YOUR NOTIFICATION COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE

PLEASE CALL FOR FREE CONSULTATION AND NOTIFICATION

KHURRAM ANWER @ Omer Accountants & Co
    info@omeraccountantz.co.uk
    0207 1835098 or 07886994741

2. In a profession where everyone seems to have plenty to say about what we should be doing, nobody seems that bothered to pipe up about how to square of HMRC. For example, I do a small amount of private tuition to retain contact with mainstream curricula yet I have no idea what I should do to satisfy HMRC apart from keeping invoices, which are declared at the end of each finanacial year.
    Is it true that HMRC having had their bellies scratched by Vodafone and their ilk now want to bully those in my position who are not likely to earn more than a few hundred pounds a year from private tuition? In any event, I'd welcome some informed response to the following email which I have received recently:
    AVOID HMRC FINES AND CHARGES
    FINAL THREE DAYS BEFORE HMRC TAX AMNESTY FOR TUTORS END ON 6TH JANUARY

I CAN HELP YOU IN FILING YOUR NOTIFICATION COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE

PLEASE CALL FOR FREE CONSULTATION AND NOTIFICATION

KHURRAM ANWER @ Omer Accountants & Co
    info@omeraccountantz.co.uk
    0207 1835098 or 07886994741

3. Declare self-employed, disclose your annual earnings and pay your tax bill.

4. Work out what you've earnt. Deduct expenses. Pay bill. Don't forget mileage, home as office etc.

5. As your husband works for HMRC I assume you know this already but I will point out that you don't need to use the dates mentioned here. I have successfully used the 31st March as my year end date and the 1st April as my year start date and I've had no problems with this. I got this information from the paperwork I received when I first declared myself self-employed and I've never been asked to change it.
    Self-assessment is really easy, especially doing it on-line. Keep your own spreadsheet and you won't even need a book-keeper to help you. If, however, you end up earning enough to deal with VAT get yourself an accountant. I've not reached this heady height yet so I'll just stick to my spreadsheet and diary.

6. CathySupply

CathySupply New commenter

(hangs head in shame) I didn't know that, actually! I wonder what else he's been keeping from me?! But thanks [​IMG]

7. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I agree the HMRC aren't bullies. But they are particularly targeting tutors and private coaches: in their Tax Catch-Up Plan: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/***/tcup/index.htm and the figures they quote in lost tax mean they're suggesting there's a lot of cash-in-hand.

Edit: The *** in the web address are because the letters R I S are filtered. Why?!