1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hmmm...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by patchi, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Ok, so I got informed late Monday evening about an interview for tomorrow!! Could Yay for the interview, but why the short notice? Shortlisting was Friday and they didn't try and contact me beforhand. I know I wasn't the only one who found out on Monday as I actually got sent someone else's acceptance letter by e-mail by mistake, before they sent the correct one.
    Am I just making up numbers? I've actually had to change some plans and volunteer committments at the last minute (they were fine with it, but still extreme last minute), I'm wondering IF offered the job, or mentioning it at interview that I would like 24 hours to think about it (again, IF offered). I know, I've asked previously and got a very good answer from Theo but that was about another interview with plenty of notice. I have an interview the following day, who gave me plenty of notice about the interview and even did a follow up call today to make sure I got written confirmation of it by letter.
    I really want a job, any job, but this treatment isn't exactly helping. If I get offered the job and have to give an answer on the spot? Turn them down because of this treatment and might not even get the other one? I know the school is a good one, staff are great, low staff turnover, fantastic kids etc but...I'm ranting away, but I'm making valid points in my opinion.
    Hmmm. Anyone?
    I know if I turned it down, the lovely Job Centre would be on my back, which isn't helping either.

2. Ok, so I got informed late Monday evening about an interview for tomorrow!! Could Yay for the interview, but why the short notice? Shortlisting was Friday and they didn't try and contact me beforhand. I know I wasn't the only one who found out on Monday as I actually got sent someone else's acceptance letter by e-mail by mistake, before they sent the correct one.
    Am I just making up numbers? I've actually had to change some plans and volunteer committments at the last minute (they were fine with it, but still extreme last minute), I'm wondering IF offered the job, or mentioning it at interview that I would like 24 hours to think about it (again, IF offered). I know, I've asked previously and got a very good answer from Theo but that was about another interview with plenty of notice. I have an interview the following day, who gave me plenty of notice about the interview and even did a follow up call today to make sure I got written confirmation of it by letter.
    I really want a job, any job, but this treatment isn't exactly helping. If I get offered the job and have to give an answer on the spot? Turn them down because of this treatment and might not even get the other one? I know the school is a good one, staff are great, low staff turnover, fantastic kids etc but...I'm ranting away, but I'm making valid points in my opinion.
    Hmmm. Anyone?
    I know if I turned it down, the lovely Job Centre would be on my back, which isn't helping either.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, you COULD have a telephone misfunction that evening, so their message goes to voicemail and you don't manage to ring them back with your answer until the evening of the next day . . .
    Bit risky, cos they might just say "Please ring us" without saying if you've got the job, and if you don't ring, might give to next in line . . .
    I doubt if you'll get extra thinking time straightforwardly, as they will be anxious to get it all sorted before end of term.
    Good Double Luck!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. That was a speedy reply!! Thanks very much!! Would have to ignore 2 phones though - I have 2 telephone numbers listed. I've been unable to take a call from an interview before, not on purpose but I happened to trap my fingers in a door 2 seconds before they called so couldn't really take the call anyhoo!! They just left a message saying I hadn't got the job...
    Ah well roll on tomorrow and Thursday!! :D
    Thanks again Theo! Panic averted!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No answers patchi! [​IMG]
    All I can suggest is that if you get offered the job as "the school is a good one, staff are great, low staff turnover, fantastic kids etc", you'd probably be happ and at least once you're in post you're earning (beginning induction?) and the other school sound good too.
    Best of luck with it.

6. They are TA roles for both of them, in Key Stage 2 where I don't have as much experience. The first school has 3 positionsand the other has 1. Come back from my first interview but won't be getting the call until tomorrow evening as one person is being interviewed tomorrow. Problem, hopefully solved :D
    3 of us were interviewed in the morning session and we were all NQT's. 2 of us graduated this summer and the other in 2009. We chatted quite a lot, probably as we found people who understood our similar situations.
    Right, preparing for tomorrow now!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad the problem about whether to accept today's job or not has been solved.
    Best wishes for tomorrow!