1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hmmm... fancy dress

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Dec 26, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my BIL is having a surprise 50th party and we all have to go as an icon or legend. i have NO idea what to go as. siouxsie sioux or cleopatra would be easy (well, the former hardly an effort!) but maybe a bit predictable. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a small goth?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Madonna? Maid Marion? Joan of Arc?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How small are you? Could you go as the small Crankie?
    [​IMG]
    :)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. emilystrange

theo, i love you as you know, but... i'll give you five mins head start, ok? :D

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Five minutes? Come on! I'm more than twice your age!
    O.K.
    How about Pippa Middleton, then?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. emilystrange

i doubt you're 86, lovey! pippa... well, let's just say i wouldn't be completely shocked if she turned up anyway. posh lot.

7. Wonderwoman? Churchill? Superman? :)

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

legend is more interesting
    how about sisyphus
    tabard and a huge polystyrene boulder with you where ever you go.

9. How about Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas?

[​IMG]

10. I also prefer legend and mythology. You could go as Persephone, Queen of the Underworld, wife of Hades.

11. Are there any icons who wear beige chunky knit thick soled slippers with pink bits on them?
    Because you've got that part of the costume sorted already!!

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I am also due to attend a BiL's 50th surprise party soon. What a coincidence!
    This one won't be fancy dress though.

Could you go as Marilyn?

13. That's it! Emily - go as Nora Batty.
    It has benefits! You will be comfy, warm and unique! You can eat as much as you like, your wasitline won't pinch!
    And you might just save a charity shop from having to be rude and turn down a donation!

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely brilliant idea! My friends got a pair of new tights she was given for Christmas, which apparently have no elasticiticty to match! (Priceless meeting her out on a walk on Chrstmas morning, using one hand, inside her coat to hold them up! I recognised the 'symptom', because something similar has happened to me before now!)

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Assuming this party is yet to take place, I reckon Lisbeth Salander is the coolest wee goth around - she kicks a.ss and is clever . . . . . .topical too, seeing as the films are just out.
    [​IMG]

16. This is not Lisbeth (well not in my mind)
    What about Audrey Hepburn? You can get AH mask
    [​IMG]
    A bit spooky though
    [​IMG]

17. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

I would also suggest Lisbeth Salander, especially if you are a petite lady and look a bit Gothic already.

18. emilystrange

ha, i LOVE the nora batty idea! but i am not wearing those slippers. no way, not ever. the current idea is anthony and cleopatra. or, as friend suggested, burton and taylor being tony and cleo.

19. Lisbeth Salandar from 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?' She is certainly an icon to me.

20. Drat! Didn't read all the posts. How about Polythene Pam!