1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hmm.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Dec 28, 2010.

1. No. It doesn't do anybody any favours in the long run. Are they going to buy them a present every time they go to any occassion where others are receiving gifts?

2. My MiL does this and it infuriates us. It's always "just a little thing" but is enough to make our girls expect it every year now. We've explained that WE won't do it and that we don't understand why Granny does it.
    It wasn't something I encountered with my eldest three children, thank goodness. A very odd thing to do IMO.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

yes, probably...
    i think it's a very stupid idea, too. one day it will backfire... can't wait for that day!

4. I used to give my children a small gift on each others Birthdays untill they were about four or five.
    There is only ten and a half months age difference so when youngest had first Birthday eldest wasn't even two so didn't understand all the attention being given.

5. A prize in every layer? ... A forfeit surely!

6. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

At the class party this year (Y1), one child started crying because she hadn't had a chance to unwrap the parcel so I deliberately engineered it so that she wouldn't get a go.
    I always play pass the parcel in a random fashion anyway- some children get to unwrap it a few times, while others don't get a go. Life isn't fair, and the sooner children realise it, the better.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

exactly.
    i just can't see how it's fair that one gets presents on someone else's birthday. although that rather counts out christmas [​IMG]

8. I like this, a lot! I think children are rather too used to getting things as and when they want (not all of them, obviously).
    If I had to give my non-birthday children presents when it was their siblings birthday I'd be bankrupt by now, having 5 of them and all that.