1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hmm, is this where I'm going wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, May 17, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

The counties I'm applying to have a section on the application form entitled "supporting statement" (one county limits to 2 pages, one has no limit but i stick to 2 pages plus the ES). I've been filling this in with how I fit the person spec, my educational philosophy, what I can offer the school etc etc, then just sending a covering letter saying "this is my application" and pulling out 2 or 3 short points as to why i'm amazing. This is normally 2/3 of a page long. Should I be doing a full 2 page letter of application???? Is this why I'm not getting shortlisted? I feel like I'd only be repeating what I've put in the supporting statement though.

2. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

You are doing it correctly but I would not write much in the covering letter. I normally just send a letter addressed to the head saying which post I am applying for, what is inside the envolope (app form, ex. summary etc) and hope they consider my application carefully.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you do NOT have a letter of application as well as a supporting statement. But neither should you have anything about yourself in the covering letter.
    Have you read my advice, folks?
    For an effective application, you should send the following:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    You need to ensure that you know the difference between a covering letter and a letter of application. Don't muddle them.
    If your covering letter includes some things about you, it could be interpreted as a not-very-good letter of application.
    Look at the FAQs, modge!
    Best wishes

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Hmm interesting. Id not thought of that. The only info I put iin there is a short paragraph about my course (as I don't feel that relevant to my supporting statement) BUT I want it in there. There are 3 or 4 good teaching unis near where I live so schools get lots of apps from there, and they know those unis. But my course is actually rated more highly, it's just far away so they don't k ow that!! Then I just reiterate that I got outstanding on my PGCE, am very hardworking etc. but perhaps I should cut all that away? Are they perhaps just reading the letter, assuming that's it for my personal statement and not even looking at the form???